Chapter 18

"There's a gold pigment in the red colour, how appropriate for being Dijun's

Blood." - Fengjiu (page 232, pillowbook 1)

—--------------------------------------------

Heavenly Realm, Kunlun - Mid Morning

Day 3 since Fengjius death

Mo Yuan —-------------------------------

Dong Hua had just finished saying that they would need to move to Bihai Cangling for the next stages. That was the place where the greatest amount of Yang energy was concentrated, and it would help keep his body and soul grounded in reality. The next step would have him unable to wake for a week as he assimilated deeper knowledge of the Threads.

"You are your parents' offspring. Of all the beings in existence, you are the only one I know with certainty that can currently learn such things." Dong Hua said.

Mo Yuan came to another realisation, when he had ascended to High Immortal rank at 25,000 years of age, Dong Hua had seen able to confirm he had the potential to see, interact with and understand the Pillars of Heaven, the Threads of Reality, and have knowledge of this Void Legacy without going insane.

This was why Dong Hua had immediately started mentoring him, Dong Hua had been testing his innate understanding of the fundamental Laws of the universe. This tutoring had eventually led him to create the Donghuang Bell, though because of his lack of full understanding, he had not been able to fully control it, or stop others from activating it.

Mo Yuan finally understood why his mother had been so incandescently furious with Dong Hua half a million years ago.

"Currently able? Could my little brother also learn this?" Mo Yuan asked.

Ye Hua was his younger twin, it would make sense.

"No, when Ye Hua ascended to High Immortal at 20,000, he did not have the potential. Even if he had, there would have been no need for me to take him as a pupil and teach him these matters, so I thought." Dong Hua replied, then answered the next question Mo Yuan was about to ask without him having to ask it, "As Ye Hua does not have the potential, his children will not."

It was a blessing for Ye Hua that his children would be spared the weighty burdens of power and knowledge that Dong Hua was now imparting to him. As the only other children of a primordial being, Dong Hua's children might have the same unfortunate potential as Mo Yuan did to understand and use this knowledge.

"Your children then?"

"It is extremely likely my son has the potential, yes."

"What of your daughter?" Mo Yuan was testing the limit of Dong Hua's sealed emotions under the guise of wanting to understand and gain knowledge.

"Irrelevant." Dong Hua's reply was curt, dismissive, as if it wasn't worth any thought beyond that one word.

Mo Yuan risked querying his impromptu teacher further, "Why so?"

"When embarking on a 10,000 year campaign, you wouldn't select a biyi bird to be your second-in-command; it is the same principle."

Biyi birds were one of the shortest lived tribes, their maximum lifespan was only one thousand years, "You are saying your daughter won't live long?" Mo Yuan asked.

"It is unlikely."

"Zhe Yan-"

"Has not accounted for my crimson-gold blood. If that child lives long enough to reach adulthood and undergo heavenly tribulation, without intervention, they will die." Dong Hua spoke with utter certainty and dispassion.