Chapter 6

He saw through the Miaohua glass the strength that could destroy Heaven and Earth. That destructive and mysterious light was his most advantageous magic; creation magic. This was Deizhou, the universe alignment technique. - Pillow Book 2, Chapter 16

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Zhe Yan!" Came the worried cries from Bai Zhen and Bai Qian. A moment later they were beside him and helped him move from his crouched position to sit on the floor. The baby cradled against his chest was alive, if a bit quiet.

Mo Yuan and Ye Hua had wisely moved straight toward Dong Hua, likely knowing the two little foxes would come to check him first. He supposed it was nice to know his wellbeing was prioritised in this still dangerous world-ending situation.

"I'm fine, stop pestering me." He attempted levity, but he found his lungs were not yet recovered. He sounded far weaker and breathy than he'd have liked as he dragged air through still damaged tissues. It did exactly nothing to reassure Bai Qian or Bai Zhen.

He was too busy focusing on the still form of Dong Hua ahead to pay much attention to the two little foxes. Dong Hua could still wake up and start this entire thing all over again, nothing was certain. But he had neither the physical or magical strength left to move yet.

He saw Mo Yuan kneel and place a hand to Dong Hua's neck to check his pulse. Ye Hua was standing vigilant above, sword not yet sheathed, smart boy. He continued watching as Mo Yuan said something that caused Ye Hua to sheathe his sword. Mo Yuan then lifted Dong Hua into his arms and walked toward him.

It was not a sight he'd ever expected to see, Dong Hua lying in Mo Yuan's arms like a hapless maid. He'd be sure to tease Dong Hua about it in a few hundred thousand years.

"He's alive, just unconscious." Ye Hua explained.

Of course he was alive. The world would not be so silent if the previous Master of the Universe had died. But perhaps not, Dong Hua had emerged silently from Bihai Cangling, perhaps he would leave the world just as quietly one day, he was never one for pomp and ceremony.

Bai Qian and Bai Zhen moved to help him stand, but he waved them off. "Wait." He asked.

He could not allow the others back in to the Fox Den yet, not with Fengjiu lying lifeless in the central chamber while Bai Qian and Ye Hua were still unaware of what happened.

He shared a meaningful look with Mo Yuan and nodded for him to go on ahead back to the Fox Den. Mi Gu followed Mo Yuan back to the Fox Den in a daze, muttering about preparing rooms for the guests.

He motioned for Ye Hua and Bai Qian to sit down, puzzled they did so. Bai Zhenalso stayed; ready to comfort his little sister and brother-in-law. But it was just as likely he was not quite ready to confront the reality awaiting him in the Fox Den himself just yet.

And so Zhe Yan sat on the emerald circle of grass that had been protected inside Dong Hua's barrier and started to speak. With a shaky voice and laboured breath he explained what he had witnessed and what had happened as he understood it.

----------------------------------------------- Zhe Yan —----------------------------------

Bai Qian's every movement since she knew about Fengjiu's passing had been automatic, done without thought. She fed Fengjiu's little daughter, put her to bed in her third brother's room and was now nearly begging for something else to do.

"How can I...what can I do to...help." Bai Qian asked as she reappeared in the central chamber, pointedly not looking at the centre table where Fengjiu was lying.