Chapter 3

Fengjiu was melting, listening to her son 'talk' to his little sister. It was exceptionally cute. Gungun was always so mature and logical, of course he knew the child in her womb could not really hear or understand him, but he was clearly very excited for his new sibling to arrive.

"I have made a copy of Master Hans manual of characters for you, as the one I learned from was quite faded.", Gungun spoke softly into her stomach.

She remembered using that very same manual herself as a child. She resolved not to tell Gungun the reason why it was very faded had not been the fault of time at all. She'd thrown it in the water that ran through her bedroom when she had gotten fed up having to learn from it. Unfortunately for her, her father had caught her in the act. After retrieving the manual from the water her father had proceeded to make her very repentant of doing so.

The thought made her smile, she really had been a menace of a child. Naughty, mischievous, stubborn, willful, disobedient, she had been all of those things. She had been the only grandchild of the Bai family at that time, and so had been very pampered and adored, able to get away with almost anything. Apart from her father, everyone else had spoiled her utterly rotten, her aunt Bai Qian especially. She'd also had her youngest uncle Bai Zhen and by extension, High God Zhe Yan as her backers, always ready to support her and help her get out of punishment.

She should really go and visit her parents, even though it had only been a few days since she last saw them, she found herself missing them again. She made a mental note to do so, and then tuned back in to what Gungun was saying,

"-and musical instruments, the erhu, guqin I am best at, but I am proficient with all the others enough to teach you.", Gungun spoke.

Fengjiu almost let out a laugh, only her son would describe his prodigious talent with stringed instruments as 'proficient'. He was the best Erhu player in Jiuchongtian, possibly beyond, while his Guqin skills were only a half-step behind.

"Father is best to teach you the harp, he is better at it than I.", Gungun continued.

If Dong Hua did not appear soon Fengjiu was going to start crying at how much of an unintentionally adorable sweetheart her son was being. Of course her son would deny any such thing, and say he was not 'sweet' but 'protective', like all big brothers should be. Still, if she cried it would invariably send her poor son into a frenzy of trying to 'fix' her. Not that Dong Hua handled her crying any better than Gungun did.

"And i'll make you sure you stay away from older brother Bai Chen.", came the most vehement promise yet.

"What is that about?", she asked.

"He who stays near vermilion is stained red; he who stays near ink is stained black.", was Gunguns explanation.

Her son was far too courteous and polite to insult someone outright, so instead he was using idioms to do so indirectly.

"Are you sure this is not you holding a grudge against Bai Chen for being the only reason you've ever gotten into trouble?", She teased.

Her aunt's son Bai Chen had not inherited his father Ye Huas genius. Even so, in terms of emotions and understanding others feelings, he was far superior to all the adults Fengjiu knew. Even Gungun, who had recently unlocked the strange, not-yet controlled skill of being able to sense and feel other people's emotional states and feelings, was not as proficient at understanding them as Bai Chen was, without that skill.

What this meant was that Bai Chen, who she had taught all her mischievous tips and tricks when causing trouble, was exceptionally good at talking other people into mischief. Even Gungun had not been immune. The only three times her son had ever been involved in anything she'd call 'trouble', Bai Chen had been the primary instigator.