Chapter 26

If Dijun was standing, how could anyone else dare to sit? - the immortals all instantly got down on their knees. Wherever he went people kept kneeling down. It was exhausting just to watch. - Pillowbook Page 398
—--------------------------------------------
Heavenly Realm, Jiuchongtian, Taichen Palace - Mountain Garden Platform - Midday
Day 3 since Fengjius death
Zhe Yan —-------------------------------

Watched intently, but Zhe Yan could see or sense nothing out of the ordinary, relief turned to surprise and worry as Gungun's eye unfocused and he lost consciousness. Before Zhe Yan had a chance to move, Gungun was already being placed gently on the ground, courtesy of Liu Cai's invisible weblike strands.

"From this moment forth, I name my son, Bai Xun as my heir; in all things." Dong Hua declared dispassionately.

The answer from Liu Cai, Ru Zhong and Yu Shi was spoken as one voice, "This servant and subject obeys Dijun's decree."

'Heir' was not as alarming as 'successor', in Jiuchongtian a successor was confirmed only at the last possible moment, in the final days of an immortal life. Dong Hua had not named Gungun- or Bai Xun as his successor, that meant he wasn't expecting to die within the next few days.

Naming an heir could be done at any time, but most often when the person had proven themselves worthy. This wasn't a strict rule, after all, Ye Hua had been named the Crown Prince, the Tianjun's heir when he'd just been born. There was a difference between everyone's natural assumption that of course Dong Huas son would be his heir, and having it officially confirmed and declared.

It was also worrying, Dong Hua wasn't one to act unless it was for a purpose, so naming Gungun- Bai Xun his heir was an indicator that he was making plans for a world without him in it.

Dong Hua looked toward where his generals were still kneeling, "I am not the master of slaves; I grant each of you the right to decide if the heir I have decreed is worthy of your service."

It was not Dong Hua's skill in strategy and slaughter that had made him sovereign of the six realms, master of the universe, though those skills had helped. He had not become the supreme sovereign through use of tyranny or terror, if that had been the case there had been plenty of tyrants in the old days that the seventy two generals could have followed.

Though Dong Hua was the reason the word 'awe' had been created, 'a feeling of reverential respect mixed with fear and wonder' to explain the feeling people had in his presence. Benevolence, mercy, and respecting full the free will of each of his generals, who had later become his subjects were the primary reasons others had followed him.

"We thank Dijun for his grace," was the reply from Liu Cai, Ru Zhong and Yu Shi, all three lowered their heads to the ground briefly, whether in gratitude or reverence, or both, Zhe Yan wasn't sure.

"Rise." Dong Hua said.

There was no greater joy than to worth and strength, power and thought, and to have one of the primordial beings, those originators of existence, see that in you? And of them to ask great things of you, set great tasks before you and answer it with a strength of mind and power that was unknown to you?

"Liu Cai, retrieve him, should he linger." Dong Hua commanded.

"Yes, Dijun." Liu Cai bowed briefly and walked over to Gungun.

"Yu Shi, escort my heir to Bihai Cangling when they wake." was Dong Huas second command.

"Thy will be done." came Yu Shi's still archaic reply.

Dong Hua's final order was to all three of them, "Should anyone interfere, use all means short of death to stop them."

Dong Hua teleported away, without having looked at his son again since he'd collapsed, poor Gungun, or Bai Xun now, he supposed.