Chapter 7

When Dong Hua retired to Taichen Palace Meng Hao and the other generals also went into seclusion – Pillow Book 2, Chapter 1

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zhong Lin was currently pacing the floor of his lord's study and growing increasingly worried. There was less than an hour until the new day dawned and his lord had not yet returned. Zhong Lin spared a thought for poor Si Ming. The Star Lord likely had his hands full re-ordering the destinies of mortals after this event. Even in the mortal realm the skies would not have been tranquil, falling stars and other oddities would have been noted and the mortals always seemed to either panic or get overly excited when such things occurred. He did not envy Si Ming his duties and was grateful his own tasks were lighter.

Whenever something calamitous happened every panicked god and immortal in the realms usually came clamouring to Taichen Palace. As the housekeeper of Taichen palace and Dijun's steward it normally fell to him to explain what had occurred. This time it appeared that Crown Prince Ye Hua was answering enquiries from Xiwu Palace. From the servants he learned that Dijun had solved another world ending calamity, but there were no further details.

Though Zhong Lin was grateful he had less to do, he was tempted to go over and ask if the Crown Prince had seen Dijun. His lord often disappeared to deal with various crises, but even so he usually informed Zhong Lin when he would be expected back. Rarely was something so pressing that his lord did not have time to be courteous.

Zonglin had just made the decision to leave Taichen Palace and go to the Crown Prince for answers when he heard the guards announce Dijun's return. He saw the purple robes of his lord appear a moment later as he came into the courtyard. Zhong Lin was relieved, his lord seemed completely normal.

"Have this delivered to Shenji manor, there are instructions on how to find it wrapped on the outside." Zhong Lin had not heard of such a place before, though 'profound rock hanging over water' had a beautiful poetry to it.

Dijun started writing as he continued his litany of orders.

"Find Lian Song, tell him if there is any rain planned for the Western Realm of Qing Qiu, he will delay it until tomorrow at midday."

"No one is to enter Taichen Palace without my permission," At this order Zhong Lin bowed his head in agreement to hide his confusion. In the whole world there were less than ten people with the rank that allowed them to enter Taichen without needing an invitation. His lord continued, "On that note High Goddess Ru Zhong will arrive within the hour, allow them entry."

Zhong Lin was a simple ascended hummingbird spirit. Having served Dijun for nearly forty thousand years he was no longer considered young by the standards of his people. Even so there were many things to do with ancient times he did not know. But for there to be a High Goddess he had not heard of? "Dijun, apologies, I have not heard of this personage, how may I know it is them?"

His lord waved a hand in languid dismissal; "The guards will know her."

To guard Taichen Palace was a great honour; none who had not marched in Dijun's hosts in the prehistoric era had ever earned it. Of course they would know of any High Gods that were still around from those times, likely it was one of the legendary seventy two generals that had lead those armies.

"Understood." He bowed and left to fulfil his lord's orders.

Zhong Lin's first action was informing the guard captain that no one was permitted entry to the palace without Dijun's permission, but also to expect the arrival of one Ru Zhong. The man's eyes had widened a fraction in surprise, but that was all Zhong Lin noted. After tasking an armed courier to deliver his lords letter to this Ru Zhong's Shenji Manor -a location that was as isolated as it was obscure- Zhong Lin made his way out of Taichen Palace.