Chapter 3: Catching Up

"You're that surprised huh?", he asked making my smile even bigger. Oh, I have to answer... right?

"Hello... I just didn't think you'd call", I said honestly. "Good, I like surprising people. My name is Ajax by the way. I don't think I introduced myself last night... given the circumstances", he said with a deep chuckle that made me close my eyes and imagine his face. "I'm Aubrey", I answered feeling shy for someone who was not even in front of me. Why does he have this effect on me?

"It suits you", he said with a touch of amusement. "Yours too", I said playing with the corner of my pillow. A loose thread suddenly gave me a much-needed distraction. "Can we meet for dinner on Saturday? I know this amazing diner just out of town and I would like to take you there", he said making me smile like an idiot wondering what was the difference between a diner and a five-star restaurant which was more of my usual go-to choice.

"I would love that", I answered before I could change my mind. "Really? I mean great... sorry I didn't mean to sound awkward it's just that, I've been on a relationship break for a while, I didn't expect you to agree so fast", he said sounding nervous. I wanted to see his nervous face but since he wasn't with me I settled with closing my eyes and recalling how he looked this morning.

"Aubrey? You there?", his amazing voice brought me back to reality. "I am, I was just trying to imagine your face", I said before thinking, earning a chuckle. "I've been seeing yours the whole day", he said making me blush like an idiot. "Well, Ajax. I have to go now. Can I text you later?" I asked and it was my turn to get nervous because he looked like someone who had a demanding job and my texts could be distracting.

"Aubrey... you can text or call anytime and I will try my best to respond", he said making me smile like an idiot... again. We said our goodbyes then he hung up.

I finally made up my mind, and chose a bubble bath, with a glass of cabernet sauvignon and my phone to update Denice.

"What!!! No way... do you have a picture of him? What does he do? Where does he work? How big is his eggplant?", Denice asked freaking out more than I expected.

"Will you calm down? It's not an investigation giz!", I said making her laugh and release a breath. "Fine... I'm calm so talk to me", she said making me laugh even harder.

"As I was saying before I was rudely interrupted. Ajax is the best one-night stand that I've ever come across and I'm going on a date with him on Saturday", I said proudly. "I'm so happy for you, I swear I'm in tears. You needed this and I hope he's a good guy", she said making me recall some of the past dates she set me up with which ended up trying to seduce me, trying to get my money but the good news is Denice was in charge of chasing them away like no one's business.

"I hope so too Denice, I have a good feeling about this. I wish you could have seen him. He's just amazing", I said recalling his toned muscles and how they trapped me to his warm chest... Paradise. "Omg!! You met a guy less than 24 years ago and you're already smitten? I need to meet him after your Saturday date", she said and since I trust her judgment the answer was... Yap yap.

"Consider it done. Now I'm going to relax and reminisce on our night while drinking a glass of wine", I said making her laugh. "Cabernet sauvignon?", she asked making me laugh. "You know me too well", I said hanging up.

"You look different, what happened last night? Where were you?", Simone asked when I joined them for dinner. "If you must know I met someone last night and I think I'll be meeting him again on Saturday", I said and her face lit up while Maya remained neutral. "I'm happy for you. Who is he?", Simone asked making me blush.

"Well, we'll know after Saturday but all I can say is. He's smoking hot", I said with a wink making her giggle. "Don't you want to give Lawrence a second chance? I mean it's obvious that he wants you back", Maya said with her eyes on her plate as the maid brought in the rest of the food. "Not really, I think I made my point by not entertaining him or telling him where we were living until you guys did", I replied while putting food on my plate.

"I'm just saying, if he was willing to come check on us that fast then he deserves a chance that's all", she commented making me raise a brow. Simone beat me to it, "Maya, leave her alone. I don't see anyone giving you relationship advice". "Jenkins usually does a background check on them a week before", she said looking at Simone angrily.

"Guys chill. I don't even know if I like him so it shouldn't be a problem. We'll cross that bridge when we get there. In the meantime, I need us to discuss the 'Lawrence situation'. You guys can't keep calling him. I don't want him here. Understood?", I asked and they nodded sadly but I knew they weren't going to do anything about it.

They never listen.

"I know that you guys have a connection and I'm not saying you should ignore it. Just don't talk about me or invite him here. I want to start over and I can't do that if he keeps showing up here and acting like he owns the place", I said and saw them relax a bit. "He does have that tendency of owning the place alright", Simone said making me and Maya laugh at the same time. It was Lawrence's behavior after all.

We finished eating and one of the housekeepers came and cleaned the table as we went to the theatre room, Maya picked 'Letters to Juliet' for the night and we all settled on our spaces. We were in the middle of the movie when I got a text that made me smile.

Ajax: I could have waited for your text but waiting is not my thing.

Me: Oh really? You seemed able yesterday what changed?

Ajax: I thought I was dreaming yesterday.

Ajax: First day taking a leap of faith and I get you!!!

Ajax: You've got to see why I had to take my time.

Ajax: 😉

Me: You know that the rest of your kind usually wait until after the first date to act this possessive right?

Ajax: Gorgeous, I'm nowhere near the norm.

"Whose Ajax?", Maya asked looking at my chats. How the hell did she get this close without me noticing?