Chapter 13: Public Appearance

Ajax's POV

I forgot about the party that Brey wanted me to go to with her and now I'm rushing to the apartment, the traffic is not helping at all. I have like an hour left before she arrives at the apartment to come get me. Considering her timing sensitivity, I know she'll be there before I'm done but hey, at least I'm going.

I heard a knock on the door as I walked out of the bathroom when I checked the digital clock on the bedside table it was 7 pm. Fuck! she was right on time. I went to open the door with a towel on my waist and there she was. Beautiful was not the right word for it. She looked like a goddess.

"Hey... You're not ready yet. Have you changed your mind? I mean it's ok if you have", she said looking worried. It made me smile. "I thought you said no assumptions", I said and she giggled. "I just got back from work, give me five minutes and I'll be ready", I said stepping to the side so she could walk in.

I took my time looking at her ass as it swayed seductively which she didn't seem to do intentionally, either way, I enjoyed the view. I closed the door the moment she sat on the couch and turned to look at me curiously but it all ended when she saw the dent on the towel. She bit her lip making me clear my throat, trying my hardest to be the bigger person.

"Sorry, give me five minutes", I said while rushing to the bedroom making her smile. I stopped when I reached the door and rushed back to tell her, "You look beautiful by the way", I said then kissed her temple and finally went to the bedroom.

Here's the thing, I had formal clothes for parties and events at the station that involved high-end officials but I hated playing dress up which is why when Brey said I was going to join her at the party and made suit a mandatory, I didn't make a fuss, I knew I could pull it off.

Mum always said I looked the part. As I promised, I was ready in 5 minutes and walked out where I found her watching TV with her heels long forgotten. She looked like home. I wondered how it was going to feel like when we were living together, how her sisters would react to me being there.

Fuck! I was going to meet one of them tonight, from the things Brey has been saying, she seems to be closer to her ex which means she's the one I need to be on good terms with before anyone else. 

I cleared my throat making her turn to look at me, she took her time making me smirk, I was so getting lucky tonight. Not that I had to worry about it, she always let me have what I wanted, when I wanted.

"You clean up nice", she said biting her lower lip. "Thanks, We're late, let's go", I said making her roll her cute eyes at me as she put on her heels. At least she was reaching my shoulder today, thanks to the heels. I locked up after her and we went to the elevator, our fingers interlocked as we walked out of the building. I saw some guys who were living on the lower floors ogling at Brey who was busy with her phone, thank god, I wasn't in a killing mood tonight.

"Hi Jenkins", i greeted her driver with a handshake which he returned and smiled a bit. When I got in the car, Brey was looking at me like I grew two heads. "What?", I asked. "Jenkins has never smiled at anyone", she said appearing to be in shock, it made me chuckle. "It's a good thing right?", I asked as we drove away from the complex. "I guess", she said resting her head on my shoulder.

We arrived at the building and found that everyone was already inside, there was a red carpet and some abandoned interview stations. I thanked the heavens, I was not looking forward to the flashing lights... no gossip, just how I liked it. 

The place was full of elites, you could tell by the way they carried themselves and held the glasses as they spoke to one another.

"Oh my goodness! Liam won't believe this", a woman who looked to be in her late forties said then started walking towards us. She looked rich if that's even possible. She pulled Brey in a motherly hug and I knew they were not just business partners, they were something more. "Hi Lily, don't make a big deal out of it, please", Brey joked making me smile as they both turned to look at me. She smiled and I did the same, she was about to say something when a man appeared out of the crowd. "What do we have here?", he asked then kissed Lily on her temple. He pulled Brey in a hug.

"Who's this?", he asked with a serious face. Brey returned to my side. "This is my boyfriend, Ajax Dufort. Ajax, these two young and adorable people are Lily and Liam Caddel, they practically built me", she said with so much pride that the only thing I did was nod as I shook their hands. "It's nice to meet you both", I said making the man furrow his eyebrows. "Mind fetching a drink with me son?", he asked and I accepted, I heard a faint, 'Be nice' from his wife as we walked to the bar.

"Is whiskey ok?", he asked. "Yes Sir", I replied as he called the bartender and gave him the order. We got the drinks in seconds. "Did she tell you her story?", he said without looking at me but I knew what he meant. "Yes", I confirmed then sipped my whiskey.

"Good, I don't mean to brag but I will because I don't bluff. I've seen how Aubrey struggled and worked hard to reach this point. If you dare drag her name or company to the ground because of the love bullshit, I will end you. I can make you disappear in a blink of an eye and no one will dare ask me a thing even if they know it was me. Do you understand me son?", he said with his eyes looking into mine.

It made me swallow hard. I always pride myself as the alpha male but something about this guy was very intimidating. "Yes Sir", I said making him smirk, it only lasted a second then his serious face returned.

I was about to ask him if it was because he didn't trust me when another man joined and he smelled rich too. "Caddel, nice party", he said with an evil smile that Liam didn't return. "Columbus, Have you met Aubrey's boyfriend?", he said finally having a matching smile. "No... Hello, I'm Aubrey's ex. Lawrence. We dated for four years give or take, you are?", he said with a raised brow.

This is gonna be a long night.