Chapter 1: Syllabus

YOONGI

Undoubtedly, this year will be hell.

I've given up on being optimistic with a new school year bringing us teachers a "bright, new class".  It's gotten to the point now where there's a line at the coffee pot in the teachers lounge.  And lucky me, I'm last in line.

"You look like you need a boost," Namjoon says as he steps to the side, allowing me to take his place.  I thank him with a grunt because at the moment, that's all I'm capable of doing.  It's a miracle my eyes haven't shut down for the day and my body hasn't collapsed on the couch in the student center.

Believe it or not, I prefer the student center much more than this poor attempt at a teacher's lounge.  The light blue paint is peeled in some corners and the countertops where di-cuts and stacks of copy paper sit are met with stains from god knows how long ago.

The line moves, but only an inch.  "I heard you got Professor Daegi's room this year.  Have you already settled in?" Namjoon asks.

"No, actually I prepared my students to decorate my classroom for the day.  Their grades will depend on who can hang posters higher and which color scheme they choose."

Namjoon rolls his eyes at me, but he had to have known I'd react like this.  No coffee equals no conversation.

We knew each other back when I first moved to Daegu and ran into him at the library across campus.  He was buried at a table in loose papers and columns of books.  It was only when I asked if he was also a teacher did we get to know each other better.

He's grown into a more relaxed person, but there are days where he will self-isolate.  That's when I take him out to eat.

Namjoon takes off his glasses and cleans them with his shirt tail.  "So did they pull you for the summer classes or were you one of the lucky ones?"

"No, I served my nickel already."  Of course, it also helped that I'm the quiet one in the faculty.  The observer, never speaking out of place.  That managed to get me around campus, settling into the role as an English Composition teacher.  And while I'm not the most in-tuned with literature, it was a setting I was most comfortable with.

The thing is, working in a setting that everyone shares means there's hardly any privacy.  There was this time I was running to the snack bar to grab myself a treat (it had been a long day) and I overheard someone talking in a very rushed, livid tone.  Almost like they were about to completely lose it.  When I turned the corner to investigate, I was surprised to see a faculty member— Mr. Bang— chewing out two students who were caught behind the building making out.  Even as a bystander, I still remember his cutting words, that the behavior was unacceptable and disgusting.

I'm fairly sure he's divorced.

Thinking back on the situation, he was in the right to stop them, but it could have been dealt with in a different way.  I'm not trying to justify the kids, but I also remember what it was like when I was in their shoes.  Some things we try to forget because it's awkward to think of ourselves as naïve, but put in perspective, our younger selves have no idea.

When I look up, the line is gone and the coffee pot is ready for me.  I pour a cup and add creamer.  No sugar.  Not today.  Maybe later.

"What time do you get off for lunch?  Jin and I were going to try the new burger joint up the street," Namjoon gestures behind him.  He pours himself a cup; two spoonful's of sugar.  He must be spending more time with Jin than I thought.

I shrug.  "Beats cold leftovers."

He grins.  "We're heading out around twelve-thirty."

"I'll be there."