Chapter 2: New Professor

JIMIN

Class is nearly complete and I'm content with the seat I've chosen for myself. I can see over Taehyung's shoulder as he takes notes on his laptop that's too big for the small desks and I have a wide view of the classroom, an advantage I didn't think I needed until now.

There are twenty-three of us in class, including Taehyung and Jungkook, and as Professor Yoongi continues his lecture, they sit side by side. Surprising since they couldn't keep their hands off each other five minutes ago. I claimed not to notice, but there wasn't a chance in hell nobody didn't see them making out behind the student center.

I try not to let it bother me as much, but it does.

Taehyung says it's fate that brought him together with Jeon Jungkook. I see it for what it is: coincidence. Taehyung just happened to be at the right place at the right time to chat with Jungkook and receive a call later that night asking for a date. Although, I'm not sure I can use the word "right" in this case.

But I can't stand the thought of losing my best friend. And maybe that's why I stay and put in all this effort pretending our entire friendship isn't being thinned out like taffy.

While Professor Min lectures, I sneak glances around the room. The posters and clutter on his oak desk are the only giveaway for this being a classroom of its own- the space is new, even to him. There's a bookshelf hugging the corner and a stack of CDs sitting atop a filing cabinet. The open blinds allow sunlight to seep through, warming my side.

"If there's one thing you should take from this class," Professor Min says, turning to us, "it should be that stories are born out of experiences, each one lived by a human being the same as you and me."

My respect for him instantly boosts and I flip through my notebook to copy down every word.

With five minutes left of class, the lecture ends and Professor Min relaxes, allowing us to talk among ourselves. Taehyung swivels in his chair to look at me, his tousled hair somehow perfect as always.

"One down," Taehyung says with bright eyes. He holds up a triumphant fist but a tight face, "Another thousand to go."

"Come on, Tae," Jungkook chides. "It'll only look like forever if you keep the pessimistic mood up."

They look at each other lovingly and for a second I debate if I should throw up here or wait until I have Jungkook's backpack.

"We should go out tonight," Taehyung springs up.

"And do what?" I ask. Honestly, I was hoping to head home and relax. If I'm going to commit to a whole semester at some prestigious and private university, I'd rather say that I at least tried when I fail and get kicked out. It's practically written in the stars for me.

"I dunno," he answers. "We could go to the park and study. It's nice outside."

I scrunch my nose. I know what it means when you leave Taehyung and Jungkook alone and they "study". I'm just shocked they would do it in a park when Taehyung was the one who claimed he would be the traditional type of lover when he found his soulmate. That lasted long.

Jungkook must pull the same face because Taehyung whines. "Come on, you two! We haven't hung out together in months." He sticks out his bottom lip and links his hands together, begging.

I cave, already reminding myself of the last time I canceled when Taehyung brought more of his unknown friends and, of course, Jungkook. According to Taehyung, his boyfriend didn't like all the new faces either, which brought a little joy to me.

Jungkook gives Taehyung a half-hearted smile. He, like most people, can't say no to Taehyung. Which is probably how their relationship is still strong.