Chapter 5: The Chalkboard

YOONGI

Like so many other things, sleep excludes me from its schedule.

I go through the morning running on fumes. Thankfully, classes have been easy enough to deal with. It's still early, and things could change.

I've hardly slept. I would like to blame the lumps in my mattress or the late night traffic, but in truth, it's Jimin's words that keep me on hold.

This time of year just isn't going well for me so far. It's too big to explain.

I can't think of why that is when the school semester just started. Perhaps it has to do with issues at home. But if that's the case, why stay here so late? Unless-

I stop these thoughts in their tracks. This line of thinking won't do me any favors. I need a distraction.

I pull my coat over my shoulders and grab my keys. A trip to the library always lifts my spirits. Sometimes, I don't even check out anything. I just like the quiet atmosphere, how the world leaves the space alone while it keeps working. I'm just about to leave the classroom when I spot students at the fountain. And Jimin is there.

Surprised, I spy out the window. There's two others who I recognize to be the two Jimin sits with- Kim Taehyung and Jeon Jungkook. There's no ease in his expression, no sign he's enjoying their company.

I can't hear them well, but I can read their lips. Taehyung is pleading with Jimin about something, pressing his palms together and repeating himself. He sounds guilty, and Jungkook looks ashamed.

Jimin looks like a snake, cornered and defensive with an icy glare. Even with glass separating us, I feel the impact.

Taehyung steps away from Jimin and moves behind Jungkook. They keep speaking, but Jimin ignores them, getting up to leave when Jungkook stops him. He shouts something like "forgive him," and anger takes over Jimin's face. Red and boiling over.

I can't identify the feeling that swells inside of me, hot and sudden. Like I'm out there with him. I wonder what they're saying, what words are cutting through to his skin. This plays out in front of me, and I've not yet stopped it. I can't. I'm too caught up in watching Jimin.

He shouts something, throwing his hands wildly in the air. Taehyung flinches. Jungkook takes a step forward. The tension tied around the three of them has me practically glued to the window, unable to do anything but watch.

Jungkook inhales like he wants to say something, but he must think better of it because he does nothing more than grab Taehyung's hand and lead him away. Jimin doesn't move.

My mood changes instantly. Fury wraps around me and finds its home deep inside. Never in all my years of teaching had I ever wished karma would come sooner to students of mine. If one of the staff were to show up and dissect my brain, they would be utterly horrified to know my thoughts right now.

Outside, a breeze sweeps up Jimin's black hair, making it wild when he looks at me. He has this uncanny talent of making a silent room even more quiet.

I hold his gaze. If he wants to come and say something to me, he doesn't. The red rimmed color below his eyes gives away his need to cry. No tears escape him, and even from here, I can tell it's getting harder for him.

We sit there silently staring at each other until he moves first, slinging his backpack over his shoulder and running out of frame.

Seconds later, I hear a light knock.

Jimin stands at the doorway, shifting his weight from foot to foot. "Are you done teaching?"

His nose twitches, and he doesn't look me in the eye. I've won this round, but all I feel is a bitter sympathy. "Yes."