Chapter 52

Shoutout to @danielle2145 for naming her siblings! I know it took awhile to get there but I still appreciate it! Thank you!

----------

For the next week, we kept an eye on John but he didn't seem to be doing anything out of the ordinary. So maybe the control the assassin had over John was temporary, like he was just a tool, and there was nothing to be concerned about. Whatever the case was, however, we weren't going to give up because it was the only other lead that we had.

There hadn't been any activity from the assassin either. It must be the calm before the storm and that was a scary concept. Something that I have been doing this past week though was trying to avoid touching anyone if that was possible. If our theory was correct and the assassin can get into our minds through someone else's touch, it was best to try and not make it easier for him.

Currently, however, I decided to spend some time with my siblings in the daycare center. It was still odd to think about having siblings after being a single child my whole life and it seemed like a foreign concept. If anything, I just felt like I was babysitting someone else's children, which I was essentially doing. Hannah had the littlest, Akita, who was only 2 years old, while I was watching Carson and Jackson who were 8 and 6 respectively. If Rebecca was here, I would feel a lot more comfortable because I had no idea what I was doing. I just thought it would be a good time to try to get to know my family a little bit better.

It's also taking them a little bit to warm up to me as well, Jackson accepted me a lot easier than Carson did, however. But it's easier the younger you are. Jackson waddled up to me holding out a toy dinosaur. "Look! Sissy! It goes roar!" He then proceeded to make a face that looked like he was trying to be angry and roar at the same time. The illusion was ruined though when he broke into a grin. 

"Yes," I leaned toward him off of my chair, "he does go roar!" I held up my hands into little claws while I scratched at the air like I was acting like a dinosaur. He broke out into giggles and ran away! "Ahh! Sissy's a dinosaur!"

I laughed and sat back in my chair as I watched them play. Carson looked up when Jackson yelled and gave a sigh. "Jack, she's not a dinosaur. And her name is Skylar." Just from that one line, I could tell that he had grown up a lot faster than Jackson ever did. So much weight an eight-year-old had on his shoulders that he shouldn't have and it broke my heart a little. I may not know them very well, but they were still my brothers. I needed to try to make them kids again.

What happened though that caused him to grow up this fast? What did they do to him? Because an eight-year-old should not be acting like an adult.

"Haha, Skywer. That's funny. Your name's the sky!" Jackson yelled and pointed straight up at the ceiling indicating where the sky would be if we weren't separated by a roof.

I smiled at Jackson and nodded, "yeah, my name is Skylar, but it's okay, you can call me sissy if you want to."

Jackson looked deep in thought as he scrunched up his face in concentration. "I think I like sissy better. I have two big sissy's and one little sissy." He then went back to playing with his t-Rex.

I glanced at Carson whom I saw roll his eyes slightly before he went back to coloring in his book. He was practically a carbon copy of me, just a young boy instead. He had the same copper blonde hair and aqua blue eyes. To an outsider, he could have been my son instead of my brother.

I just let Carson be, in time, he'll warm up to me and the same goes for me with him. I love him and yet I don't even know him. It's sad but I also feel like that with my parents still. I haven't known them for that long, they are still strangers to me. Maybe if I were to get to know them even more, I would, by extension, be able to get to know my siblings better and feel more connected to them? It's just they may be my parents but they can't replace the parents that raised me. I need them, I miss them so much right now. And I know it's childish to think but they would have known what to do. I could rely on them to make everything better. But I was a queen now and then we're gone. I couldn't think like that. I just missed them so much.

I went from an orphan to a queen with a bigger family than I could ever imagine. How many people could say they did that? Coco decided to make her appearance just then and jumped into my lap. I smiled and stroked her fur. At least I still had her, even if she did like to roam and explore a lot.

Just then, Hannah decided to make an appearance holding Akita in her arms. Akita was lucky, she missed most of the brainwashing, if not all, because she was so young and wouldn't understand anything. The only real difference for her life was going from a small cage to being able to play wherever she wanted and having all the room in the world to explore.

"Hi, Hannah," I said with a smile when she came in. She came to a sudden halt to avoid running into a kid that ran right by her before continuing in my direction. She sat Akita on the ground and she took off toward her older brothers with a laugh, Two-year-olds could really move when they wanted to.

Hannah took a seat next to me and asked, "how's it going? They not causing too much trouble, are they?"

"No," I said, "none at all." Which was the truth, they weren't causing any trouble.

"Good," Hannah responded, "so, how are you?"

Honestly, that was such a loaded question. There were so many ways I could answer that. Truthfully, lie, partial answer, or the good old classic, say good because that's what people are expecting when they are half asking how you're doing to make small talk but aren't looking for a real answer; that's exactly what I ended up doing.

"You know, you don't have to lie to me," Hannah responded concerned.

"I'm not," I argued, "at this current moment in time, I'm good." I'm spending time with family trying not to worry about anything else than their wellbeing. So I was good, better than many other parts of my day.

"Okay," Hannah replied unconvinced by my answer but she didn't push the issue any further. "William and Liam are spending time together, getting to know one another. I think your father is trying to act like one by giving Liam a talking to considering he was never able to before."

I smiled at the thought, "oh boy, what could he possibly be saying to scare him?"

"Oh you know, men being men and also saying how you better treat my daughter with respect and like a queen or I'll kill you, the usual."

I laughed. "Well, it's a good thing he can't actually kill Liam, otherwise I'd be a goner too." It was both sad and romantic the way we could never be living without each other if one of us were to die. Sad we couldn't live on with the memory of our loved one and try to move on but romantic knowing we could never live without them. If they die, we die. The worst part of it though is leaving our children behind alone, especially if they were to need us, exactly like what happened to Liam when he was Carson's age.

Hannah smiled, "true." She then looked off into the distance. "I know we could never replace the people that raised you, but I hope one day we can get just as close."

She looked so sad and I had to tell her the truth that was in my heart. "We will, it may not be right away, but we have time. Plenty of time actually." Considering our aging process, I'll be able to spend so much time with them, we had hundreds of years to make up less than eighteen. We will be good.

We sat together, side by side, and watched the three little ones play. And it was true, everything this in this moment was good.

———————————————————————————————

Yay! Here's the next chapter! Something a little bit different of a speed but I think it was needed! What'd y'all think? Also, I will try to update as soon as I can but I am moving this week so I have no promises if I can update in the next week. I will do my best though by working on it during my breaks at work!

Anything you would like to see next? Let me know!

Comment

Vote

Share