Our Last Goodbyes

Gabe

I paced back and forth in the waiting room as Lucy was in there. My heart was hammering my chest and I refused to let the tears come out. Last night was one of the most amazing nights of my life. Everything was perfect. Lucy looked beautiful. Sure she had no hair but either way she will always be beautiful in my eyes. The doors opened and I quickly looked up to see if it was Lucy's doctor but it was Trevor and Clair coming in.  Clair spotted me and quickly came over.

"Gabe what the hell happened?" She asked on the verge of tears. I looked down and shook my head.

"I don't know. One moment we were having a good time then when I woke up she said she was feeling dizzy. I told her to sit down but it was too late. She collapsed in my arms completely out of it. I couldn't wake her up. I tried everything then I raced her here where I have been waiting and hour" I babbled.

I looked at both of them. They were scared, I can see it in their eyes.

"Oh God please help her" Clair prayed. Trevor pulled her to him trying to comfort him but his eyes were brimming with tears.

We each decided to sit down and try to calm ourselves down but so many thoughts were running through my head. How could this be happening? She wasn't suppose to collapse like that. I placed my head in my hands and silently cried. I felt two arms wrap around my shoulders. I lifted my head and saw Max, she gave me a sympathetic smile. Tears were brimming her eyes as well. Just then the doctor came in holding a chart and had on a poker face. Damn doctors.

"Lucy Owen's family" Trevor, Clair and I quickly rose to our feet.

"What's wrong doctor?" Trevor asked. his voice was stern and confident. The doctor looked at Trevor.

"Are you sure that you are her family?" He asked. Anger arose in me as he said that. How dare he ask that. The same anger arose in Trevor and Clair as I saw their bodies tense.

"We're her family. Her biological family are the ones who did this to her, we want her to get better." Clair snapped. The doctor looked at all of us and nodded.

"Very well. I am afraid I have some bad new" MY body froze "X-rays of Lucy's internal organs show that they are not going to last a lot longer. I am actually very surprised she made it this far. Chemo has really helped her. But not enough to stop everything."

"What about the transplant?" I asked. I felt no emotion in my voice as I said this. Everyone looked at me then at the doctor.

"There is no more time unless there is a family member with her blood type but other than that the waiting list is long. Hundreds of people die each year because we are late but organs are scarce. And Lucy is in need of most of them."

I sank to the floor. Max sank next to me.

"When can we see her?" Trevor asked.

"You can go in right now but she is sedated to help her relax and not force anything that can weaken her."

Trevor didnt move. He stared at the ground.

"How, how long does she have?" He asked. I tightly closed my eyes. I didn't want to hear this but my body, my heart was telling me I have to. The doctor sighed.

"As of right now, she can go at any minute. It depends on her at the end of the day. She could last months, week, days or even hours so make the best you can with her."

I felt my heart break with what he just said. Lucy isn't going to make it. But she has to make it. She is my everything.

"Gabe" I looked up from the floor and at Max. "Gabe do you want to go and see her?"