[32] christmas kids

"aquí esta tu regalo (here's your gift), y/n."

my dad handed me a red box with a matching red bow.

i've always loved red. it represented my country and things i loved the most, like the heart, roses, the crayons i love to color with, my favorite shoes... everything. it just so happens to be a christmas color too which is why i love christmas morning.

i untie it and pop off the lid just to see my name and the number 9 on a red shirt.

"you got me a spain jersey?!" i had outgrown the one i got for my 6th birthday. at least now this one would match my age too. "claro, mijia. (of course, daughter)" i step on all the wrapping paper my brother, sister and i tore up and up to my dad on the couch. "now you have a spain and barca jersey."

that one was special. it also had my name, except it had a 30. i wanna start off with 30 just like messi did. if i get good, i'll also play with 10 one day.

but theres a root to everything.

this is mine.

Y/N's POV

"woah what's this?"

i was brushing my teeth while gavi was looking for the matching pajamas he bought us yesterday but didn't even wake up with them on.

to be fair, we got home around 1 in the morning from his parents dinner so then i could be with mine for christmas morning. so when i finished up, i stepped out just to see the jersey's i've had stuffed in my drawers for who knows how long. "how deep did you dig?"

not even i've seen these in forever.

i'm looking at the way he lays them flat yet gently on my bed. my name bold... along with his numbers.

"creepy."

"it's the universe, what do you mean creepy?!" what else would i mean? "why do you have these anyways?"

"i was nine when i got this on christmas and 30 is what i played with. even on my old club jersey's... it's 30." i never achieved my goal of playing with 10 though. if i wasn't in a bummer mood before, i kinda am now.

but it's christmas morning, so i practically can't be. gavi's arm snakes around my shoulder and brings me into him so that he could kiss the top of my head. "i wish i could've seen you play." me too. "who knows, gavi." i give him a warm smile but from the corner of my eye, i can see the red plaid pajamas i was already in while he wasn't.

"papa said if you don't hurry up he's throwing gavi's gift in the pool!" it was sira who banged on the door.

"he got me a gift?!"

i'm not surprised that's gavi's biggest concern so i let him run into the closet and change.

i could burst out laughing if i didn't have to put the jersey's away.

i was unwrapping my gift from my mom when i saw it was a pandora box. i shook it slightly when i hear the smallest chime. "please be a charm." i've been needing a new one to add onto the 8 i already have.