[09]

It felt good to be out in the fresh open air.

Irene had asked her mother if she could accompany Ashton on the book delivery to the orphanage and Norah agreed eventually as she had been feeling quite tired. Irene promised her that she would make sure not to get herself and Ashton into any trouble and keep her updated.

She knew Norah had been overworking herself and needed rest plus it had been a long time since she had gone out as well. So she told Ashton that she would be going with him instead of their mother.

They had to take the subway to Robinson Square where the orphanage was located. Both Irene and Ashton were holding the boxes of books they had packed and Ashton was clearly on the lookout that no one came to snatch the boxes away from them.

Irene smiled to see her younger brother be so protective and caring. She knew he had somehow grown into that role as their father hadn't been around for them and he felt he had to fill his place.

Ashton was just thirteen but he was already a very responsible and mature person.

"Watch your step," he told her but in the dim lights, she couldn't quite catch what he said. So he got off the subway, placed the box down, and took the box she was holding before she could step out.

"Thanks," she said, looking around in curiosity. 

It was her first time coming to Robinson Square and the place was so full of people that it was quite overwhelming at first.

Ashton made sure to stay close to her as they navigated their way through the crowd, coming out of the station to the street. He had been to the orphanage once before so he led the way, making sure that Irene did not get lost.

Finally, they came to a halt in front of a Gothic-style building, very much in contrast to the modern buildings of the Robinson district. The metal gates parted to let them in and Irene felt how terrible it would be for all those children to live in such a spooky building.

But then most of Gotham's architectural heritage was spooky and very much in alliance with the name of the city. Tall turrets, gargoyles, and dark colors engulfed the city like an irremovable blanket of darkness.

"I know it's spooky on the outside," Ashton turned to face her and spoke, "but it's much better once you go in."

She shrugged, following him in through yet another gate. They had finally stepped inside the building and she looked around in wonder, realizing why Ashton had said that.

the interior wasn't as spooky as the garden and gates outside. In fact, it was much better inside with the warmly painted walls and contemporary furniture.

"Hi, you must be the Coopers," the receptionist greeted them and Ashton put the box down, filling in the register to note their entry and exit time.

"Yeah, we came to deliver books," he told her, "Ashton Cooper. And this is my sister Irene."

"Hi," the woman smiled and Irene nodded politely with a soft smile, "here are your passes, you can go straight to the library and you will find Miss Stella there. She will tell you where to put the boxes."

"Thanks."

Taking the passes, the two went to the library with the boxes. As told, a woman with the name tag Stella Harbor met them there and asked them to put the boxes beside the shelves. 

She opened the boxes to check the books according to the list she had and once that was done, she told them they could leave. The amount for the purchase of books had already been transferred to Norah's account.

Ashton signed if Irene wanted to meet the children there so he could get a friend of his and show her around. She considered and then nodded in affirmation.

The orphanage was small compared to the number of children who lived there and then with the current situation of Gotham, many children got orphaned and were left alone in the cruel world. true Batman and Robin were there and trying their best to stop crime but just the two of them couldn't be enough to look out for the entire city.

Ashton had talked to a staff member who agreed to show them around and Irene curiously followed, her green eyes taking in the details of that place until they reached the main hall.

Children of all ages were grouped together, some were playing and some were sitting on the floor talking.

She spotted a boy who was sitting on his own and turned to the staff member to ask about him. "Why is he not playing with the others?" She spoke, uttering her words as clearly as she could manage.

"He's deaf," he told them, "the other children don't know how to communicate with him."

"Oh..." She went to the boy and sat down in front of him, signing to see if he could understand her.

"So she can't hear too?" Ashton was a bit startled as the man asked him.

"Yes, but she can communicate just fine. I'm sure the kid over there can too," he replied, "didn't you try checking if he could sign or lip-read?"

By then Irene was talking to the boy who looked pleased that someone could finally understand him. She took off the keychain on her bag and gave it to him as a gift.

"We don't have extra time on our hands to deal with every single child," the man remarked in reply to Ashton's question, "in fact, I have to tell you guys to cut the tour short. We are expecting an inspection tomorrow so there's a lot of work to do."

"Alright, we won't stay longer. I will go tell Irene too. Thanks for showing us around," he replied and went to his sister.

"His name is Harry," she told him, signing what she had learned so far, "I told him we have brought a lot of books for the library so whenever he is alone, he can go and read."

"That's great," he smiled, shaking the boy's offered hand as well, "but we have to leave now."

She nodded, saying goodbye to the friend she had made in such a short time.

They left the orphanage after putting in their time of leaving in the register as well. By the time they were out on the crowded street, Irene gently gripped Ashton's hand and began to lead the way.

"Irene, where are we going?" He asked but then paused, seeing that she had brought him to the ice cream parlor they had passed on their way to the orphanage.

She must have seen it and kept it in mind for them to visit after the errand.

"But I didn't bring money," he gestured to his pockets and she smiled, pinching his cheek as if what he had just said was adorable.

She opened her bag and took out the money she had been saving, giving him enough to buy two ice cream cones. "My treat," she mouthed, pushing him towards the counter.

Ashton smiled, knowing what flavor she wanted as he went up to the counter and placed the order. By the time he came back, she had found them a table and they sat down to finish the ice cream before heading back to the station to catch the subway home.

"Thanks," he told her and she shook her head lightly, signing that he didn't have to thank her at all.

He already did a lot for her and their mother so Irene thought it best to let him have some time to chill as well and brought him to the ice cream parlor knowing that he enjoyed ice cream.

After all, he was still very young despite the burdens he had started to shoulder at such a young age. She didn't want him to lose the happy moments he could get under all those piles of responsibilities.

***