[19]

Richard had worn his suit after a long time.

The last time he had donned the red and green suit was back in Jump City when he and his team had been battling the chaos caused by Slade Wilson, aka Deathstroke. After that when the situation eventually got resolved, he told the Titans that he needed some time to himself so he left the team and came back to Gotham.

Those physically and emotionally draining months of tackling all the chaos and destruction Slade put them through had been quite taxing to all of them. So they had dispersed, intending to come back together as a team if needed.

And ever since Richard had returned to Gotham, he hadn't even touched the Robin suit. Yet that night on Jason's insistence, he was out on patrol alongside Batman and his new Robin.

He felt odd, seeing the vast and dark skyline of Gotham city as he stood on the top of Wayne Plaza. It wasn't his usual spot for patrol but things had shifted after his absence.

It felt as if he hadn't been out in the sky for so long that his wings had rusted. The city was the same as ever with its mix of gargoyles, spires, and modern buildings. But he felt different.

Detached.

As if he was a puppet whose strings had been broken and now he was dangling without any idea of what to do next.

"Hey, there you are!"

Jason's voice shook him out of his thoughts and he turned to see him. He was quite enthusiastic about the two of them patrolling together so Richard didn't want his mood to be a dampener on him as well.

Putting on a smile, he asked, "so where are we supposed to keep watch?"

"B has agreed to let us have West End," Jay remarked excitedly, "it's going to be fun. I heard there are some thugs inhabiting the abandoned buildings there, let's go give them a shock."

"And catch them if they are doing anything illegal," he added.

"Yeah, yeah, that's the most important part. Of course, I remember that."

Richard nodded, "okay then, let's go."

Both the Robins took out their grapple guns and soared through the cityscape as they left the building. Richard could see that as Jason was still new to the vigilante life, he was very excited about everything.

He had the same enthusiasm Richard once had to save the city and although he still wanted to save Gotham and protect the innocent citizens, he had faced the responsibilities and the tragedies that came with being a vigilante firsthand.

Jason still had a long way to go and Richard hoped the path would be easier for him.

He hoped he wouldn't have to face estrangement and stay close to the family because in the few years he had been away from Gotham, he had realized that it was much harder to fight alone.

In that sense, he was grateful that he and the rest of the Teen Titans had come together to form a team, or else he would have lost his mind if he was pitted against Slade on his own.

"You seem quite distracted," Jason asked, noting that something was weighing on the elder brother's mind.

"Nah, just thinking how nostalgic this feels," he replied, schooling his expression back to normal.

The rest of the patrol passed by quite smoothly. Jay got the opportunity to scare a group of rebels hiding out in the abandoned factory and they too freaked out on seeing two Robins instead of one.

By the time they were coming back, Jason offered Richard to take the front seat but he insisted that he was tired and wanted to stretch out.

Being out as a vigilante again reminded him of a lot of things. The way it felt to soar through the sky. th adrenaline rush through his veins after taking down criminals and the smiles on the people's faces who they saved.

But along with the good things, it also reminded him of the bad and he needed some time to recollect his spiraling thoughts.

He was lying down on the backseat, oblivious to Bruce asking Jason if Richard was okay and had anything happened at patrol that made him that exhausted.

He closed his eyes, trying to erase the image of that orange and black armor along with flashbacks of the worst days of his life.

"Smoothie?"

Jason's voice jolted him out of the cyclone of bad thoughts he was falling in and he sat up, taking the offered cup.

"Thanks..."

"Are you alright?" Bruce asked, concern flickering in his eyes as well.

"Yeah, just tired. I think I got rusted not going out for so long."

He could look past that excuse, knowing there was something up with Richard that he was not yet telling them.

"Are you sure?"

"Positive, Bruce. Don't worry," he managed a small smile, taking a sip from the strawberry-flavored drink to calm his frayed nerves.

He stayed silent throughout the ride and after they had reached the cave, he quietly got off, unstrapping the bo staff from his back. Jason's chatter had filled up all the silence and he raced to the shower rooms even though he challenged Richard to see who could reach there first but the boy didn't respond.

Something definitely was wrong, Bruce thought but then he didn't push the matter because he didn't want it to become another argument that could result in Richard leaving again.

"Bruce," much to his surprise, Richard spoke up when Jason was out of earshot, "do you perhaps know any therapists I can go to?"

"I do," he replied, pale blue eyes observing him to find out what was wrong.

"I know what you're thinking," he took in a deep breath and started talking before Bruce could ask him the question himself, "I am fine... But I think I will be better if I get a little help."

Bruce knew it was hard acknowledging the need for getting help be it any case or any situation. So the fact that Richard was admitting it and confiding in him made him feel that he should do everything possible to be there for his son.

He had failed his role as a parent a few years back, he wouldn't repeat the mistake ever again.

"It's not that serious, it's just..." Seeing the concern in his eyes, Richard tried to elaborate but he went silent upon seeing that Jason had come out.

"You can come to my study in the morning and I will see what I can do," Bruce patted his shoulder and then walked away. He knew Richard wouldn't want them to resume the conversation with Jason listening.

"Did I miss something?" Jay asked, steel blue eyes flickering in curiosity.

"Nothing, just Bruce telling me it would be okay if I rejoin," Richard remarked, ruffling the boy's now wet hair.

"That would be awesome! I had fun patrolling with you tonight."

"Yeah, me too..." He replied, thinking about patrolling again but after he managed to get himself back on track.

"You know, Alfred has made warm milk and cookies for us to snack on," Jay told him, "so go shower quickly and join me in the kitchen. I will save you the chocolate chip ones."

"How do you know the chocolate chip ones are my favorite?"

"Alfred told me," he replied with a carefree smile, "you know one day I will bake you a whole box of chocolate chip cookies. I am learning from Alfred already."

Richard felt a strange but warm feeling creep into his heart, the boy was starting to soften up to him and he appreciated the newly made bond of trust and care between them.

"Thanks, Jay, you're awesome."

He knew that compliment would ensue an excited yelp from the boy and that was exactly what happened. Jay gave him a high five before rushing up the escalator to go to the Manor's kitchen.

***