[26]

Ashton looked up to see Jason enter with cheeks shaded redder than a freshly ripe tomato. A smile tugged up on his face to see the boy as he asked, "what happened?"

"Nothing."

"Your face says otherwise."

He rolled his eyes, ignoring Ashton's playful gaze as he took his seat beside him, "your sister and my brother might be a lot closer than we thought, that's all I have to say."

"Yeah, I know. Irene likes him. She says his eyes are very pretty like cornflowers," Ashton shrugged but then asked, "but why are you blushing?"

"I am not blushing, leave it," his face turned even red as he said that.

However, their conversation came to a halt as Richard and Irene had come to the dining hall. Irene smiled at Jason who was trying to hide his face, still rather embarrassed. While Richard pretended to be oblivious to their silent interaction.

And shortly after as Alfred brought the food, it distracted them completely from the previous situation. A delicious aroma wafted through the dining hall and Ashton and Irene were in awe of the feast they were being treated to.

Alfred paused to see the two siblings hold hands for their prayer and Richard and Jason joined in as well. Then after the prayer was done, they started eating the delicious food that was served to them.

"Mister Pennyworth, this is heavenly," Ashton spoke up, a bright smile taking over his face as he tried the steak, "thank you so much."

"You are all very welcome," Alfred smiled as well, taking his leave, "I hope you enjoy the feast."

"Oh we certainly will," Jason spoke up, finally recovering from the embarrassment, "you know, Ash, I'm learning how to cook from him, and in a short time I will be just as good as Alfred."

After that, Richard took Irene to the library to show her around while Jason brought Ashton out to the garden where a basketball court was set up.

"Alfred says we shouldn't immediately exert ourselves after eating so we will wait a while then we can play basketball," Jay offered.

"Of course."

Ashton was looking around the garden in amazement. The shrubbery was well kept and the lush greens felt very soothing to the eyes.

"You know I was wondering, does Mister Pennyworth do everything here by himself?" He asked, voicing out the question he had been thinking about for quite some time, "because we didn't see any other staff around."

"You will find it hard to believe but he does everything himself," Jay replied, "Alfred is the best. No other staff can compete with him."

"And he's a grandfather figure to you too, that's sweet," Ashton remarked, walking beside him through the rows of ornamentation plants.

"He is very sweet. Just the best," Jason never refrained from expressing how glad he was to have Alfred around, "and you haven't yet tried the cookies he bakes. I am sure he was some genie in a past life and that's how he can keep up with so many tasks and be perfect in all of them."

"Interesting... Can genies reincarnate though?"

"Maybe... It could be possible."

They were walking for a while and Jason started to tell him about Gotham Academy next. Ashton always listened to him so Jay found it easier to talk to him about anything and everything.

He let him finish and when he was sure Jason didn't have anything else to add, he spoke up, "how are things between you and Richard now? I remember you weren't so happy when he came back earlier."

Jay nodded, thinking about those days made him feel bad that he had kept avoiding Richard for such a petty reason, "yeah, we're good now. He's awesome."

"You used to say he was awesome even before he came back," he reminded him, a slight smile playing upon his lips.

"Yeah, but that was what I had heard from other people. Now I know he's awesome firsthand," Jay chuckled lightly, "it feels so childish when I think about how I was reluctant to befriend him when he had just come back. But I'm glad that issue between us got resolved. Now I have no problem with him being around and in fact, I like hanging out with him."

"It's also a good thing you two share hobbies," Ashton remarked, "you both have a hobby of playing video games as well as book reading and I think I heard Mom tell us a few years back that Richard took part in the Academy's drama club."

Jason was now part of that drama and theater club so he knew about that very well, "I've seen a group photo they have from his batch in the club. He played Romeo that year."

"Romeo, indeed," Ashton chuckled and just like that, Jay recalled the incident earlier and his cheeks fired up with color again.

"You did not say that on purpose, right?"

"Of course not." he nudged his elbow, a playful spark dancing in his green eyes, "but now I do know you walked in on something."

"Shut up, Ash. You've embarrassed me enough."

After that, they did play basketball together and after a while, Richard and Irene joined them too. It seemed Irene had finally decided to step out of the library but now her bag held more weight as she had borrowed a considerable amount of books from Richard to read.

Seeing the boys playing basketball in the garden, they joined in as well and the match turned into a competition between the Wayne boys and the Cooper siblings. That way they could balance the team out, as both Richard and Irene were taller so they could score more easily compared to the younger boys.

Ashton and Jason however were skilled in stealing the ball from the opponent's grasp so dividing the teams as such definitely worked as an equal advantage for both of them.

They played basketball and both the teams were good enough to keep up with each other. The match was won by Richard and Jason as they had to end the game a bit early because Orene's phone was ringing.

Ashton picked up as it was a call from Norah asking them when they would come back. So the game had to be cut short as the sky had started to darken and they hadn't noticed the time.

In a while, Bruce would come home too and then he and Jay would have to leave for patrol though that was a fact unknown to the Coopers.

"It was a lovely day with all of you," Irene spoke slowly as they were leaving, nodding her head to Alfred as well, "thank you for having us."

"You're welcome, Miss Irene," Alfred replied, making sure that she would understand what he said. "It is getting late so it would be better if I drop you two off at your place, provided you agree."

Ashton signed to Irene to let her know what he had said and she nodded so he turned to Alfred and said, "if it's not a problem for you, sir. Thank you."

Richard came along as well to drop them off to Alleytown with Alfred. Jay had to stay behind and he told them that he had some assignments to complete while in fact, he was going to wait for Bruce so that they could leave for patrol.

And so the Cooper siblings left after spending a very enjoyable day with them. And needless to say, they were told by all three of their hosts to visit again often.

Alfred too felt that they were good kids and it would be nice to have them around so he also urged them to visit often.

***