[34]

Jason had suggested celebrating Richard's recruitment with ice cream. So after they got free from the GCPD headquarters, they headed to their favorite ice cream parlor.

However, Richard thought of something further. He told Jason to order ice cream for them while he took the car keys, saying he would return shortly.

Bruce asked where he was going and he simply replied that the celebration felt incomplete and he was just going to fix it.

Alfred nodded at Bruce, silently conveying that he should let the boy go. And so Richard took the car to Alleytown and parked in front of the Coopers' place.

As he entered the bookstore, he consciously became aware of the fact that he was in his police uniform as he saw his reflection in the glass panes of the door. So seeing him like that might come as a surprise to Norah and Ashton who weren't aware that he had taken part in the GCPD's recruitment program.

Irene knew that he had taken part in the program and was busy due to the police training. So she too wouldn't be expecting to see him there at that hour. 

It could truly be a surprise moment for the Coopers.

Ashton was at the counter helping Norah in sorting the catalogs but as the bell on the door tinkled upon Richard's arrival, he looked up to see who had entered the store.

Seeing Richard in the crisp blue uniform with that shining badge on his chest was a sight he hadn't expected. 

"Richard, my dear, is that you?" Norah exclaimed, her eyes crinkling in surprise to see him standing in front of them with a look of achievement on his face.

"I completed the police training," he told them, "I'm part of the GCPD now."

"Congratulations, I am so happy for you," Norah's smile widened.

"You didn't even tell us," Ashton remarked, "or else we could have planned an epic celebration party for you. Let me go get Irene, I bet she'll tell you the same thing."

Richard didn't say anything just yet as the boy went upstairs to call his sister. 

"Ashton is right," Norah remarked, "if I had known, I would have stopped you for dinner."

"Actually, I came to ask you guys out for a celebration," Richard spoke up, "it's nothing much, just ice cream but I wanted you all to be there."

"But it's your big day and your family must be with you..."

He nodded with a polite smile, "I'm sure they would be happy to see you. After all, I have started to consider the three of you as my family too."

Her eyes softened and she put down the catalogs, "That's very sweet of you, dear. Irene and Ashton can go with you but I will have to stay behind for the store."

"Oh..."

"But we will arrange a celebratory dinner for you whenever you are free," she added, "and you can't refuse. Bring Jason with you too, it's been a while since I saw the little urchin."

By then, the sounds of footsteps descending the stairs interrupted them and Richard turned to see the Cooper siblings conversing at the foot of the stairs.

Ashton seemed to be explaining the situation to her but Irene's eyes caught up with Richard's cornflower blue and she smiled, her hand lifting in a light wave.

"You look great," she signed as she approached him, a beautiful smile playing upon her cheery pink lips.

"Really? I think I look like a cop. Makes me feel old."

"A hot cop if that's of any consolation," she signed in reply, her smile widening to see the red shade of his cheeks as he realized what she had conveyed.

Richard felt his cheeks tingle at the compliment. While Ashton, who had just watched the brief interaction, signed after clearing his throat to get their attention, "You guys know we can sign too, right?"

Norah laughed lightly as she spoke, "I will leave you children to your plans then. Just don't stay out late."

"Wait, now what plans did Richard make that he didn't tell us?" Ashton asked.

"I am taking you out for ice cream. My treat. Oh, and Jay is already waiting for you at the ice cream parlor."

"Really? Awesome," Ashton's face lit up at the mention of his best friend, "though when I think about it, you seem to be very fond of treating us to ice cream."

Richard shook his head, a soft chuckle escaping him, "well, one of my friends used to say that ice cream tastes twice as good with company."

"So you take us along to make sure you always have company?" Irene teased.

"That too and I love having you two around," it didn't take him even a second to reply.

Ashton rolled his eyes, "of course... You do love having us around."

Irene nudged him as she understood exactly what he meant. But Richard chuckled at the remark, simply happy to have the chance to include them in his achievement too.

In the time he had gotten to know both Irene and Ashton, they had become very important to him. Especially Irene because what he felt towards her was a profound feeling that was deeper than friendship but he was not sure whether he could call it love just yet.

Somewhere deep down in his heart, he felt that he was falling in love with the whimsical girl but perhaps he wasn't ready to say it out loud at the moment. He was figuring things out for himself and didn't want to rush into his relationship with Irene.

He knew she was a very calm and serene person so he didn't want to disrupt the peace that surrounded her. They would figure their feelings out for each other fully in due time. There was no need to rush, at least that's what he liked to believe for the time being.

Meanwhile, Bruce, Jason, and Alfred were waiting at the ice cream parlor for Richard to show up. Soon enough, they spotted him with Irene and Ashton, making their way to the place where they were seated.

Jason's face lit up seeing the two and he quickly rushed to greet his friend. Meeting Ashton always lifted his mood and as Richard had brought them to the ice cream parlor, Jason's delight knew no bounds.

It was the first time for Bruce to meet the siblings who had become such a positive influence on both Richard and Jason. He hadn't been at home when the boys had invited them over so that meetup at the ice cream parlor was his first interaction with the two.

Alfred had briefly told Bruce about the Coopers and seeing that Richard had gone and brought them along with him for that little celebration, it was evident that he cared for them. 

He nodded his head as the siblings greeted him politely and Richard took the task of giving the introductions. However, the name Cooper seemed to ring a bell somewhere but he dismissed it, just then recalling that Jason had asked him for a book donation to the Coopers' store so perhaps that was why it felt familiar.

Richard had gone to fetch the remainder of the ice creams and Alfred was asking Ashton about the bookstore. Bruce kept to himself, silently observing the company they had out of habit.

He could see that Irene and Richard were close as were Jason and Ashton. But the bond Richard and Irene had felt deeper than that of close friendship. Still, there was something about the silent girl with bright green eyes that felt very familiar.

It seemed as if he had seen that pair of eyes years ago on a stormy night when he was out on patrol. It could be a coincidence but he decided to check for the name Cooper in his previous case files that he dealt with as Batman, just in case.

***