[25]

That weekend Richard and Jason had asked Norah if they could take Ashton and Irene to their house. Norah agreed as there wasn't much work to do at the bookshop and she could easily manage on her own. Besides, she wanted her children to go out and have a good time too.

Jason was very excited as he intended to play all the video games he had with Ashton. So when the two of them reached the Cooper bookstore, Jay was practically jumping in excitement.

"Alright Jay, I know you're excited but at this rate, you'll smash into the bookshelves," Richard warned him as they entered the store, an amused smile playing upon his lips.

"I will be careful, don't worry."

"Hi guys," Ashton's chirpy voice greeted him and his hair were standing up on one end again as if he had just given a shock to them, "woah woah, Jay, easy."

Jason had tackled him into a hug and it was clear that for him, it was impossible to contain his excitement. Ashton laughed as he disentangled himself from the boy's grip, ruffling his head up. He had a habit of doing it as he was an year older than Jay and treated him like a younger brother.

"Okay pal, I get it you're excited but you gotta calm down. Just wait here, I will go get Irene then we can leave."

In a while, Irene had come down as well and they were ready to leave. After bidding farewell to Norah, the four of them stepped out. Ashton and Jason were walking ahead of them while Richard and Irene were behind, going to the subway station where they could catch the train to the suburbs where Wayne Manor was located.

Richard signed to Irene, watching the shade on her cheeks deepen, "you look pretty."

"Thank you," she mumbled, taking the offered hand.

The trip to the manor was a very lively one as Ashton and Jason brightened it with their jokes and playful antics. Irene too kept up with the conversation, laughing at Jason's retelling of a hilarious incident at school.

They didn't notice the time it took to reach Wayne Manor and as they were walking towards it, Ashton and Irene looked at the tall iron gates looming ahead of them in wonder. The Wayne property was a vast expanse guarded by a boundary with multi-layered protection.

However, the gates parted to let them in and though the Coopers felt slightly intimidated at first, when they rang the doorbell at the front door and Alfred opened it, the old man offered them a slight smile.

"Welcome, young Masters," Alfred stepped aside to let them in.

"This is Alfred, our grandpa," Jason introduced him and Alfred felt a warm feeling surge in his heart to hear that.

"Nice to meet you, Mister..."

"Pennyworth," Alfred corrected Ashton and the boy quickly nodded, returning the polite smile. Irene nodded her head as well in a greeting.

Alfred was meeting the Coopers for the first time and he had been intrigued about them as Richard and Jason were both very attached to the siblings. He could see that both of them were very well-behaved and polite just from that brief meeting.

However, if Richard and Jason were fond of them that definitely meant they were worth the praise.

In a while, Jason had taken Ashton upstairs to his room to show him the video games collection while Richard asked Irene if she would like a tour around the house.

"It looks like a museum," she signed, looking around in astonishment.

"Let me show you the interesting sections of this museum then," he offered, leading her to the back where the library and the drawing room were located.