Chapter 17

Song: So Far Away by BTS

Naruto had never experienced acute sadness before but that was what he was experiencing right this very moment.  His life was always relatively happy and his parents had always made sure that his living environment was one of tranquility. But the stabbing in his heart right now reached the pits of his kidneys boring into his bones a feeling he could only describe as... heartache.

Once they had finished their meal and helped Mikoto clean up, Itachi had requested a word with his father in private.  Naruto watched the two men move to the den, closing the door behind them.

"I'm sorry Naruto, if only he could accept how content our son is with you." Mikoto said the sadness clear in her voice matching the disappointment showing on her face.

Naruto was shocked that she had put two and two together. They were trying their best to keep their relationship professional while the Uchiha parents were in Japan.

She chuckled softly when she noticed the nonplussed expression mirror the tan face. "I'm a mother. I know Itachi better than he knows himself. You make him happy." She gave him a sincere smile.

"He makes me happy too, but.., the despondency laced his vocals as a disheartening frown settled in his lips.

She gathered him in a hug. "Don't worry. Itachi has been refusing his father's suitors for years. It's the one subject matter he tends to put his foot down. He'll figure something out. Trust him." Giving him a reassuring smile before excusing herself to answer the telephone that had already rung for the third time.

Naruto stood still, peering at the den, trying to listen to the muffled voices coming from the other side of the door. Even though he couldn't make out what was being said, he could tell it was a heated conversation.

A low baritone voice startled him causing him to flinch and turn around. "Try not to worry to much." Sasuke said. "Father's notorious for rushing to marry us off." He said looking towards the closed door. "Well, more so Itachi but he hasn't been successful yet." He tried lightening the mood, feeling sympathetic for the twosome, but the skepticism could be heard in those the last words.  He knew that a time would come when his father would succeed and finally push them into marriage, he just hadn't expected him to do it this soon, especially with Itachi still recovering. "I have to prepare for a meeting tomorrow, but I can keep you company for a little while."

Naruto shook his head trying to fight the tears.  "Thanks but I rather be alone right now." He didn't want to get emotional in front of the younger raven.  Sasuke nodded in understanding and squeezed his shoulder lightly before heading to his room. After taking one last glance towards the closed door, Naruto headed up the stairs to his own his bedroom, shutting the door behind him. He opened the windows to let the breeze flow through the room then curled into himself on top of the bed not bothering to pull the comforter back. A cascade of tears fell from his eyes as he thought about what he was potentially about to lose.  He had fallen so hard and deep in love with Itachi that it hurt. The pain he felt was like someone pouring salt onto an open wound, letting it sit for days until the wound finally numbed. The feeling was raw. He was losing his soulmate.

He thought about calling someone but at the moment he didn't feel like talking. They probably couldn't make out what he was saying anyways through the sobs wreaking into his pillow so he laid listening to the warm breeze brushing against the blinds with the evening air covering him.

Meanwhile downstairs...

"Father, with all due respect, I'm not interested in meeting this woman." Itachi was determined to stand his ground, being willing to change the dynamics of his life in spite his father's wishes. "My interest lies with someone else. You gave me a year to find a mate and I'm confident that I have."