Chapter 28

Song: Gravity by Coldplay

Today was another appointment with Dr. Shultz.  Naruto officially reached the eighth month mark and between the weight, immobility, being sleep deprived, tests and being poked with needles he concluded that being pregnant wasn't fun anymore.

"Your AFL index is 16. Sacs look healthy. As well as the placentas." She had said while looking at the babies showing on the screen, her grin wide and very pleased with what she was seeing. "They look nice and snug in there just like a bug in a rug." Her choice of teasing surprised them considering she was always serious. "Would you look at that. Baby A is giving us a gender reveal today. Would you like to know?"

Itachi and Naruto pensively looked at each other. They were flabbergasted that there was finally cooperation from one of their kids and albeit they've been wanting to know from the beginning what they were having thinking that it would help them be better prepared they silently decided to just wait and be surprised.

"We'll wait to be surprised." Itachi volunteer.

"Okay then. I think you won't regret it . It's thrilling to find out the day they're born."

She continued with the exam, pointing to some minor concerns with his belly measuring bigger, feeling it being the contributing factor for the frequent cramping and mainly because the male's anatomy was so diverse from females she warned that he could expect them to intensify from here on out to delivery. She also wants him to prepare for bed rest at the start of next week.

This news made him more crabby then he already was not wanting to be cooped up in bed for a month or more but at the rate things were going, he wasn't looking forward to the end where they would be getting even bigger.

They had been at the doctors for over three hours because she wanted him to do the three hour glucose tolerance test to measure his response to sugar for gestational diabetes. Meaning that he had his blood drawn first thing before having to drink 100 grams of the awful yucky sugary solution on an empty stomach. Having fasted for eight hours prior, then wait and have his blood drawn three more times every 60 minutes. He felt sick to his stomach from the solution even after eating the protein snack he had brought along. Between the tests and feeling queasy the only good thing about the day so far was being able to see his babies on the screen, hearing their heartbeat and getting their pictures, otherwise he was ready to leave wanting nothing more than to eat and sleep.

Bored out of his mind, not at all being interested in the soccer game playing on the television that had drawn Itachi's attention an hour ago, he looked around the familiar office coming to the conclusion that he didn't particularly like the decor. It needed a splash of color, perhaps a skeleton in the corner and definitely some pictures, even if they were of the human anatomy. The spacious room was too plain and he was tempted to express his personal opinion on the matter, something his family told him that he has been offering rather frequently.

He shifted in the leather chair trying to find a more comfortable position.  He was definitely over this day as he breathed through pursed lips trying to deal with the ligament pain his womb was experiencing.  The cramps earlier in the morning weren't particularly painful, just aching stretches, but he knew from over the previous weeks what this one was whenever it caught in the lower section of his belly and across his back, making everything hurt.

Itachi offered him his hand and he felt his body relax a little at the sensation of the thumb rubbing circles over his knuckles.  He rested his head against the back of the chair his back hurting more and more. It didn't matter anymore if he was sitting or standing basically because one of the twins thought it was a comfy place to lay up against his spine.