Chapter 27

Song:  (Harry Styles She)

It was early morning and the emergency room was fairly quiet, which was a plus as they were all trying to be calm and collected. It helped minutely knowing that Itachi was in good hands despite the circumstances but his nerves were still on edge and the bitter despair insisted on lurching inside him.

Naruto sat in the waiting area, his left leg bouncing lightly up and down nervously. He was half attentive to the distant sounds of nurses combing the hallway their low voices conversing with doctors as they stopped at the central station to the ward. The waiting period was relentless. 

His eyes were glued at the clock across the room on the far wall, of course he knew that the time wouldn't pass faster by checking it every few minutes but it helped fight the urge to sleep.  It had been two hours since they had taken him into surgery and he was still waiting news.

His mind drifted off to the very first time he met Itachi, their first kiss, the day they vowed to love each other for forever and the moment of realization when he felt the gentle fluttering of their babies.

It was the day that they had visited the orphanage. In the morning he had felt something he would describe as bubbles floating around in his stomach, but the sensation had disappeared after he had eaten breakfast. Then during the entire time that they were with the children between the times playing and reading to them the same sensations returned but he dismissed it for heartburn, blaming it on having just snacked on a bowl full of fresh cherry tomatoes and a jar of dill pickles. But when they arrived home after their visit, Itachi was just about to order the anchovy cheese pizza he was craving when the realization hit him like a brick that it was the twins moving around.

"I just felt our babies move!" Gasping as ceruleans grew the size of saucers, suddenly aware of the weird sensations he was feeling all day.

Sure the test had confirmed it, followed by the daily routine of hugging the cold porcelain throne fault of the constant nausea, coping with cramps and dizziness only to be accompanied by overwhelming fatigue and then bombarded by horrendous cravings. But the flatters, the light twitching stirs, flickering around inside whilst stretching the uterine wall was the glorious revelation ...

'We're pregnant'

Reaching over and placing the large pale hands over his rounded swell, blues eyes sparkled as he watched Itachi who was waiting patiently to see if he too could feel the fluttering.

But when downcast eyes and a frown of disappointment washed over his features Naruto softly caressed his cheek, quickly turning the frown upright to a whimsical smile.  Albeit that it was to early for him to feel the embryonic movements, Itachi still relished in the same joy as the carrier, relieved that at least the blonde could finally feel their little sunflowers growing inside of him. 

'I'm a dad'

The blonde's smile brightened when black orbs filled with wonder and before he knew it he was being pulled into the bedroom where the dark haired man ravished his face with kisses. He couldn't resist the joyous emotions filling his soul as he returned the same fervor, having already forgotten the craving that had been commanding his tastebuds all day.

'Their babies were alive'

Moments later, soft touches of strong hands were cupping the curve of his stomach, giving it a gentle and protective rub, consumed him whole as he relaxed into his lover's hold, pressed firmly against his broad chest.

'Our family'

Joining the pair of hands resting over their unborn children, he closed his eyes, softly humming into the smile blooming across his face, with every cell in his body singing with euphoria.