Chapter 31

Song: Old Friends by Ben Rector

Naruto was dressed in a navy lien shirt dress and a pair of navy jeggings. He hated having to resort to wearing maternity dresses but they were the only style loose enough to cover him comfortably.  As he grew bigger, the options to fit his petite frame compatible with his humongous front were sadly limited. He didn't mind the life growing inside of him but his stomach was drawing more attention from people when he was out in public then he was comfortable with, not that he ever enjoyed the stares but he was so big he couldn't camouflage if he tried and it made him more self conscious than he already was.

He looked over at the overnight bag that was on the floor by the kitchen table. They had spent the prior week packing for the hospital making sure nothing was forgotten and planned to leave it in the foyer closet.

"Well at least we can mark that off the list." Standing behind him, Itachi wrapped his arms around him, his hands coming to rest over his belly. Naruto set down his mug of tea and took the moment to lean back into the tall stature and intertwine their fingers. "Yeah. I'm sure she's going to ask us if we have it ready."

The two gasped at the gliding motion under their hands, Naruto from the pain of the flow and Itachi loving it when they responded to his touch.

"Wow. They're quite active this morning." Itachi said noting the wince on the latter's face. His stomach being tight and sore of late. The shape indicating a new position of one of the twins but the other remaining knitted underneath his lungs. Even though they were starting to run out of room, the babies haven't let up on their kicking frenzies and they were really getting heavy to carry around.

"They probably don't want to go see the doctor either. It's their way of joining up with the resistance." Naruto contended voicing his dread for this particular appointment.

"I know you're not looking forward to today but you're in a very delicate phase now and you're body is definitely communicating that to you." Itachi said moving his hands over the tiny elbow that was pushing into his palms. "I suppose we should be grateful that you've been able to get this far without too much trouble. You're doing great."

"Hmm." Naruto said closing his eyes, his head tucked under the raven's chin as he inhaled the soothing scent of his lover. Itachi was right. Aside from a few nuisances here and there he couldn't complain. It had been a smooth pregnancy in comparison to what some of the other males have gone through.

"Bright side, Sasori and Deidara are still coming over tomorrow for dinner. One less day of boredom."  He tried cheering up his sunshine.

"One day out of who knows how many more!"  Slowly straightening out his back the best he could in hopes of relieving the stiffness and ache. He was extra careful with his movements because his bones had softened and joints were loose.

"The chef wants to know what you would like him to prepare for their visit."  Itachi asked moving in front of him and placing a kiss on the dome before letting go of the blonde to pick up the mug of piping hot coffee that his sweet husband had already prepared for him.   He took a cautious sip then leaned against the counter flipping through the newspaper.

"I could eat duck with rosemary and parsnips and..." Naruto pondered for a moment, "and maybe a salted caramel cheesecake for dessert. Deidara loves Chōji's cakes." He requested successfully somewhat distracted.

"Sounds scrumptious." Itachi smiled sending the menu request from his phone to Chōji.

"It's been awhile since we hung out with them. We didn't really get to talk much at the baby shower."  He couldn't believe that had been almost two weeks ago.