Chapter 32

Ellie Goulding How long will I love you

Naruto rested his head against the back of the couch and his hands were splayed over the significant extension of his stomach. He was worn out after the light exercise routine that Dr. Shultz wrote out for him and then the task of showering and getting dressed.  Itachi had left shortly for the office after helping him with the exercises to pick up some files.  Today was a momentous day in their lives, they were meeting with the judge to finalize the adoption. 

A brunch had been prepared early before they would be gone for the afternoon so Naruto felt like there was no need to have the chef or help hanging around so he gave them the afternoon off assuring them that Itachi would be home soon which should've been 20 minutes ago.

The twins were alternately somersaulting as if they were high on something and now he had to use the bathroom. He had been struggling for the past several minutes to get up out of the cushioned sofa but was unsuccessful because the weight of the Uchiha heirs had his body firmly planted in the sofa.  Just like the doctor warned would happen happened and it happened fast their recent growth spurt came with more weight and it was enough to push his body pass the levels of inconvenience.  For example right now they were playing havoc with his bladder.

"I know you're as excited as we are but can you calm down until your father gets home?" 
Naruto grimaced rubbing the spots where an elbow and a foot thumped against his hands. He had tried relaxing with a book but they were moving incessantly.  "Where is he?" The frustrating growl slipping past his lips as he was pressing a hand into the small of his back and leaning to the side trying to endure the throbs currently shooting into his hip. His other hand was at the top of his stomach where one of the babies jabbed into his ribs making his breath hitch. The babies definitely had no intention of slowing down as they were running out of space. 

After another minute or two he wrestled to reach for his phone that was on the the side table. Itachi had texted him when he left the office and that was an hour ago.

Dialing Itachi's phone which picked up on the first ring. "Naru? Is everything okay?" The deep baritone laced with concern answered the phone quickly.  As the blonde got closer to his due date Itachi was unconsciously on edge with everything.

"Where are you?"

"Less than ten minutes away.  There was some maintenance construction on the highway that held us up." The raven supplied from the back seat of the car.

Naruto glanced up at the clock on the wall contemplating if he could wait that long without having an accident in wetting himself which has already happened.

Hearing the brief silence Itachi wasn't sure what to make of it. Naruto was becoming more clingy and would sometimes break down in tears if he wasn't within eyeshot.  "Are you sure you're okay? Do you need to stop and get something from the store?"  He asked cautiously trying to prepare himself for an outburst of emotion from the lad on the other end of the line.

"Can't I just call and talk to you?"  Naruto uttered trying to formulate in his mind how to explain his dilemma without feeling shame.

"Sorry I got scared that something was going on."  Naruto could hear the relief in the raven's voice. He's been sensing Itachi's apprehension of late both becoming more nervous each day his due date drew closer.  "So what's on your mind? What did you want to talk about?"  Itachi asked feeling more at ease.

"Umm..." Clearly stalling and trying to come up with something else other than the real reason why he called. "Did you get the files?"  It was a stupid question and they both knew it was, clearly he had.

"Uh, yes."  Itachi treading and concluding that there was something going on. "Where are you, Naruto?"  He asked discerning whilst peering out of the window.