☼ chapter eleven

TATUM IS LYING ON HER BED, LOST IN THOUGHT, WHEN SHE HEARS A KNOCK ON HER DOOR. She ignores it, hoping whoever it is will go away. But the knock comes again, more insistent this time. She sighs, getting up from her bed and opening the door.

It's Anika. "Hey, Tatum," she says with a smile. "You coming out to join the rest of us?"

Tatum hesitates. "I'm not really in the mood for socializing right now."

She nods understandingly. "I get it. But come on, it'll be easier if we stick together."

Tatum looks at her for a moment, then sighs. "But I'm not making any promises about being social."

Anika grins. "That's all I can ask for."

She follows Anika out of her room and into the living room, where Anika procedes to throw herself on the couch and pick up the book she'd been reading since pretty much the start of the semester. 

She can't help but feel a pang of loneliness as she watches her friends laughing and joking together in the kitchen. Despite being around them all the time, she has always felt like an outsider, like she's the weak link of the group. It's not just a feeling either, she knows that she's not as smart, talented or confident as the others.

Growing up, Tatum was always called a strange child. She had strange interests, like collecting butterfly wings and doing autopsies on dead animals she found in the woods. She was never the type of kid who fit in easily with others. Chad and Mindy, who she had known since they were little, always seemed to tolerate her presence more than enjoy it. They were probably forced to hang out with her at first, she thinks. It seemed like something their mom would do, she always had a soft spot for Dewey.

Tatum had never even talked to Tara before eighth grade when Amber suddenly decided to befriend the girl. For a long time, actually, she believed that Amber was her only real friend, which is a pretty sad statement in itself. What does it say about her when her closest companion is a killer? 

Did Amber like her because she was weak, easy to manipulate?

Or did Amber see something in Tatum's eyes that looked a lot like a mirror?

Anika jumps up and turns up the TV's volume even louder. Tatum winces at the sudden noise and Anika yells out, "Guys, what the hell?"

As the others walk out to see what's going on, Tatum feels a lump form in her throat. She can't believe what she's hearing. The reporter is suggesting that Sam could be the killer responsible for the recent murders, and even the ones from last year.

Chad is the first to break the silence, muttering a curse under his breath. Mindy looks at Tatum with wide eyes, as if she's expecting an explanation. Tara seems to be in a state of shock, her mouth slightly open as she stares at the screen. Sam looks like she's about to cry.