☾ chapter seventeen

ETHAN WATCHES AS THE SUBWAY DOORS SLIDE SHUT, LEAVING HIM BEHIND. His heart races as he realizes Tatum is on that train, her panicked face etched into his mind, going right into a trap with Chad, Sam, and Tara. He curses himself for not being able to keep her close, for losing her in the crowd. His mind races with thoughts of what could happen to her out there, alone.

He tried to follow her, he did, but the crowd was too thick.

Ethan turns around and sees Mindy, apparently the only other one left behind, looking at him with a mix of fear and disgust. "God, get your Ghostface ass away from me, Ghostface," she sneers.

He doesn't have time for her attitude. "I'm not leaving, Mindy, I have to catch up to Tate." he announces urgently.

Mindy shakes her head. "Why do you care?"

Ethan grits his teeth. "Because she's in danger."

Mindy scoffs. "We all are, dingus. Plus, I highly doubt that Tatum needs your protection."

Ethan narrows his eyes. "What's that supposed to mean?"

Mindy shrugs. "Just that she's a strong, independent woman. She doesn't need a man to save her."

Ethan rolls his eyes. "You're so difficult, you know that?"

She walks away from him as far as she can, and well, he's definitely not complaining about it. He can feel her eyes on him as he waits for the next train, and he wonders what he did to make her so suspicious. Where the fuck did he mess up?

Well, maybe he didn't. Quinn always told him he just had this naturally suspicious kind of face.

When the train arrives, Ethan steps inside, determined to search every car until he finds Tatum. He has to protect her, no matter what.

He watches as the train approaches, its headlights casting a ghostly glow on the platform. He takes a deep breath and prepares to make his move. Whatever happens next, he knows that he can't let Mindy stand in his way.

Ethan watches as Mindy sits down, looking around nervously as if searching for an escape. As he stands in the middle of the train, holding onto the pole for balance, he takes out his phone and sends a quick text to Tatum. He can feel the anxiety building up in him as he thinks about being separated from her, lost in the sea of costumes and chaos.

When Tatum responds, he can't help but feel a sense of relief wash over him. At least she's okay for now. He types out a quick message to let her know that he and Mindy are on their way and that he'll call her when they reach the final stop.

Ethan looks over at Mindy, who is staring out the window with a blank expression on her face. He wonders what she's thinking about, if she's scared or just annoyed. He decides to try and make small talk, maybe to ease the tension between them.