☼ chapter fourteen

TATUM SITS CROSS-LEGGED ON ETHAN'S BED, SLURPING THE HOT NOODLES FROM THE STYROFOAM CUP. The aroma of the broth mixed with the warmth of the bed makes her feel safe and comfortable, and Ethan is sitting beside her, munching on a packet of chips.

They had spent the last hour under the covers, cuddled up like two spoons in a drawer, Ethan's arm wrapped around her waist, and she even managed to rest her eyes for a little bit.

She turns her head slightly to look at Ethan, who's staring at her with a soft smile. "What?" she asks, feeling a bit self-conscious.

"Nothing," Ethan replies, "Just looking, good looking."

Tatum smiles and turns back to her noodles, taking another bite. "You know," she says after a moment, "This is really good."

"I'm a pro at making instant noodles," Ethan chuckles.

She rolls her eyes. ''No, idiot, I mean us.''

Ethan nods in agreement, "Yeah, I know what you mean."

They both fall silent for a moment, enjoying the warmth and comfort of each other's company. Tatum leans back into Ethan's chest, feeling his heartbeat against her back. She closes her eyes and takes a deep breath, feeling content.

"Riley," Ethan says suddenly, "Why did you lie for me? I never called you from Econ."

Tatum's heart skips a beat as Ethan asks her about her lie. She knows she needs to come up with an answer quickly, but her mind is a whirlwind of conflicting emotions. She thinks back to the moment when she decided to lie for him - it was an impulsive decision, born out of a desire to protect him from the harsh judgment of her friends. She remembers the way he looked at her with gratitude in his eyes, and the feeling of warmth that spread through her body at that moment.

But now, faced with his question, she begins to wonder if she made the right choice. Should she have been more honest with her friends? Was it really worth risking her safety to protect someone she barely knew? Tatum feels a sense of unease wash over her as she realizes that she doesn't have a good answer to Ethan's question. She knows that she needs to be honest with him, but she doesn't want to disappoint him or make him feel like she regrets her decision.

Despite her doubts, Tatum takes a deep breath and meets Ethan's gaze. "I lied because I wanted to protect you," she says simply. "I wanted them to see you for who you really are."

They both fall silent again, just enjoying the feeling of being close to each other. Tatum takes another bite of her noodles, feeling the warmth spread through her body. She feels safe, loved, and content, for the first time in a really long time.

Maybe ever.

Tatum giggles, feeling a sense of ease around Ethan. It's not something she's used to feeling around people, but she's comfortable with him. She asks, "Oh, hey, forgot to ask, how does it feel to not be at risk of dying a virgin anymore?"