☾ chapter fifteen

THIS WAS NOT PART OF THE PLAN. Ethan was supposed to stay back in Central Park with the group, make sure everyone could see him cruising around when Ghostface was attacking and be there for Tatum once she learned that Gale was dead. 

He may have overestimated Tatum's negative feelings towards her mom. 

He watches as her body shakes with fear, and he realizes that even with their strained relationship, Tatum would do anything to save her. Ethan knows he needs to find a way to protect Tatum from her own impulsiveness, to keep her from doing anything reckless that might put her in danger. He grips the seat tightly as Tatum speeds through the streets, determined to get to Gale fucking Weathers before it's too late.

He knows he needs to be her rock, her support, her protector. Against his own sister, Quinn.

Tatum's reckless driving has Ethan holding on for dear life, his knuckles white as he grips the handle above the door. He can feel his heart pounding in his chest, and he's pretty sure Tatum is going to give him a heart attack.

When they finally reach Gale's building, Tatum jumps out of the car without a second thought, leaving it parked haphazardly in the middle of the street. Ethan scrambles to catch up as he tries to keep pace with Tatum's sprint towards the elevator. He can see the determination in her eyes, the fear and urgency driving her forward.

Tatum impatiently presses the elevator button over and over again. Ethan can feel the tension building in the group as they wait, knowing that every second counts. When Tatum suddenly takes off towards the stairs, Ethan follows without question, his muscles burning.

Despite the exhaustion and stress of the past few days, Tatum seems almost superhuman as she runs and fights her way towards her mother. Ethan can hardly believe it.

"Slow down, Tate," he calls out to her, but she doesn't even seem to hear him. "We need to stick together, you can't do this alone."

But Tatum is focused on one thing: saving her mother. And Ethan knows that he can't stand in the way of that. He just needs to find a way to keep her safe, even as she charges headfirst into danger.

Finally, they reach Gale's floor and burst out of the stairwell. Tatum heads straight for her mother's apartment, determination etched on her face.

Ethan pulls Tatum aside before she enters the apartment and reaches into his pocket, pulling out a small pocket knife. "Here," he says, handing it to her. "Just in case."

Tatum takes the knife, looking at it skeptically. "What am I supposed to do with this?"

"Go for the kill." Ethan replies.

Tatum nods and slips the knife into her pocket, looking more determined than ever. Ethan knows what she's thinking - that this fight is personal. He doesn't blame her.