☼ chapter twenty-one

SAM YANKS TATUM TOWARDS THE LADDER, AND TATUM FOLLOWS HER WITHOUT THINKING. She can feel the adrenaline pumping through her veins as she climbs, one hand gripping the rungs, the other holding onto her injured thigh. She senses the weight of Ethan's stare on her back as they run.

Tara is already ahead of them, climbing steadily towards the second floor.

The ladder is old and rickety, every step causing it to shake and groan. Tatum can feel her heart pounding in her chest as she climbs, her eyes fixed on the exit door above her head, her movements quick and sure.

As they climb, Tatum can hear the faint sounds of chaos below them. Shouting, gunfire, and the unmistakable sound of Ethan's voice. She can feel Sam's body tense beside her, and she knows that they're running out of time.

The pathway to the second floor is so obstructed that they have to climb in between objects. They squeeze their way through, trying not to lose their balance. One slip, and they'll fall back to the first floor. Tatum's leg aches from the stab wound, making it even harder to keep going.

Suddenly, the sound of a gunshot echoes through the theater. Tatum flinches, and in that moment, she loses her grip on the railing. She slips, her legs dangling over the edge of the ladder. Panic sets in as she struggles to hold on, her hands slipping on the sweaty, bloody metal.

Ethan's voice breaks through her panic. "Hold on, Tatum!" he yells, his eyes locked on hers. He tries to jump his father, but Wayne is quicker and points the gun at Ethan's chest, stopping him in his tracks.

Tatum can see the fear in Ethan's eyes, and she wants to reach out to him, to hold him close and never let go. But she knows that she can't. She clings to the railing, her fingers numb with cold and fear. Tara reaches out to grab her hand, but their skin is slick with blood and sweat, and they can't get a grip.

Tatum can feel herself slipping, her heart racing as she fights to keep her hold on. She can't afford to fall, not now. Not when she's so close to escaping.

They'll make it out of this, she tells herself. They have to. 

Promise me you'll do whatever it takes to survive.

I promise.

Sam's arms are straining as she tries to hold onto Tatum, sweat pouring down her face as she struggles to keep her grip. Tara is in a similar position, her eyes wide with fear as she grips onto Tatum's other hand. 

Quinn's eyes are fixed hungrily on Tatum's dangling foot, the knife held aloft. She's waiting for the moment when Tatum loses her grip and falls into her waiting arms. Tatum can feel the sharp edge of the knife as it cuts into her skin, drawing a fresh wave of pain.

Ethan shouts at Quinn to leave Tatum alone, but his pleas fall on deaf ears. Wayne, gun pointed at Ethan, interrupts the chaos. Tatum watches in horror as Ethan starts to move towards Quinn, and Wayne readies himself to shoot.