A Hug

A/N: The reader here could be another captain or a cadet—doesn't really matter. Also, could be read as platonic I think? There's a lot of teasing here, I think it could be kinda like how he acts with Hange.
Also, this is more of a fluffy, cozy chapter instead of a super well-written chapter because I am extremely tired and dealing with a lot of medical problems.

    You woke up, your eyes blurry as you looked around your room. The sun was setting and you tried to sit up, only to be met with excruciating, throbbing pain in your head. You groaned in pain, collapsing on your pillow. Your face scrunched in pain.

    Your door opened and you turned to see who it was. Levi walked in and pulled a chair next to your bed, crossing his legs as he sat down. He had tea in his hand. "I just wanted to make sure you're okay."

    Your brow rose. "What? What happened?"

    He sighed. "Did you hit your head that hard?" Although he sounded annoyed, his brows rose in worry.

    You shrugged and closed your eyes. "Oh, God. What did you do?"

    Levi took a sip of his tea, then set the cup on your bedside table. "We were sparring in front of the cadets."

    "And?"

    He looked away as guilt ate at him inside. "And... I knocked you to the ground. Hard." He sighed, standing up. "Nevermind—I just came here to check on you."

    "No," you protested, reaching your hand out. "Stay. You aren't going to leave me all alone, are you?"

    "I'm considering it," he responded but sat down anyway. He frowned, his brows furrowing. "How much does it hurt?" He asked, putting his hand on your forehead. "Shit, you're burning up."

    You chuckled, the laugh hurting your head. "It's fine. I'm alright, Levi." As you said it, he nervously bit his lip. He looked down at you, worry lacing his eyebrows together. You sat up even though it hurt and looked at him. "I'm alright," you persuaded. "It just hurts a little bit. Accidents happen, even to you."

    He opened his mouth briefly to object but sighed. "I'm sorry."

    "Oh, wow. Captain Levi Ackerman is apologizing?" You joked.

    "It's something I need to do more often," he mumbled.

    You put your hand on his knee, giving him a reassuring smile. "It's okay. Lighten up." He looked at you. He wondered how, even though you were in pain because of him, could you smile at him like that? He wished you wouldn't comfort him when you were the one in pain.

    "Do you need anything? Food? Water?"

    You grinned teasingly. "A hug."

    He scowled at that, rolling his eyes. "Not funny, rookie."

    You couldn't help but smile wider at the nickname. He called you that your first day and continued to call you that, even as you worked your way up the ranks. You could surpass him and he'd still call you a rookie.

    Still, you found yourself enjoying his reaction. "C'mon, don't be so prideful, Captain. You're not too skilled to give out hugs, are you?"

    "Skill isn't the issue. I'm not hugging you, rookie." He quirked his lips in an annoyed ghost of a smile. "You're just asking me because you want to brag about it to Hange."

    "And because I want to humiliate you."

    "Right. You can't ever seem to forget to do that," he grumbled.

    Ever since you met Levi, you tried to embarrass him. You wanted to wipe the cocky yet annoyed scowl off of his face. It worked a few times, like when you challenged him to a fight and you beat him (barely). And when you pushed him off of his horse. That's not to say that he hasn't humiliated you countless times, too, though.

    You grinned. "Go ahead, Levi. Hug me."

    He scoffed. "No." He wouldn't admit it, but he enjoyed your teasing. It kept his days a little light-hearted and playful.

    You frowned, not wanting to cross his boundaries. "Alright, fine, Captain. Stay anti-social."

    "Giving up so easily, rookie? That's out of character."

    You chuckled. "You're making it seem like you want me to convince you to hug me."

    "Well, I wouldn't want you to lose that godforsaken determination of yours." He took another sip of his tea.

    "What kind of tea is that?" You questioned.

    His brow rose. "Black."

    "Can I have some?"

    "No."

    You frowned. "But I'm parched!" You exclaimed dramatically. "You're really just going to let me die from dehydration?"

    Levi squinted, looking at you. "Probably." He took another sip.

    "You're no fun, Captain."

    He sighed in defeat, handing you the cup. "Just take the rest. I don't want to drink after you." You grinned and drank the tea happily. Levi watched you. "You certainly seem to be feeling better, rookie."

    The pain was still a lot, but as long as you didn't move around too much, it wasn't awful. You smiled, flicking his head. "That's for throwing me to the ground."

    "Are you actually mad?"

    "You can apologize to me with a hug, y'know."

    Levi glared at you. "You're insufferable, brat." He sat on your bed and pulled you into a hug. Then, he leaned close to your ear and whispered, "I'm going to get you back for this, rookie."

    "Not if I do it first."