Forever 1

Now, I'm sure you must be wondering, Nyx, how did you end up with an immortal in your head? Well, it's quite a simple story. I had just gotten back from seeing Warden Hank to the Crystal Kingdom prison. Robin was not happy to hear I hadn't slept over the duration of those three days, but I had long learned to tube out her yelling.

She had just left to go on patrol with Grant when he showed up. I was behaving (I swear on the gods I was), and I looked up and almost yelled. Standing on the other side of my office was a tall dude. His eyes glowed yellow, and he had black mamba snakes for hair. If this wasn't threatening enough, he wore polished silver armor and was glaring down at me.

"Hello... sir?" I questioned, unsure what was going on.

"Are you Warden Nyxion Hyfled?" He asked.

"Depends. What do you want?" I inquired, unsure whether to tell this giant stranger my name.

"I am an immortal. I have a problem." I had to stop myself from replying with, 'don't immortals always?'

"And this problem would be?" I asked him. "Nyx doesn't like his time being wasted. Especially when mortals have worse problems."

"Well, I seem to no longer have a physical body," he admitted, like that was supposed to mean something to me. After realizing I had no clue what that meant, he clarified, "If I don't have a mortal body, I'll fade out of existence. I need a mortal host until I can reform my body."

"Do I even wanna know how this happened?" I questioned. He shook his head. "Well, to answer your question, yes, I am Nyx. Don't call me by my full name. How long would this last?"

"I don't really know, but it wouldn't be good if I faded out of existence," he said. "If it's any consultation, I can leave whenever need be."

"My gods," I sighed. Should I even agree to this? Was this safe? What even was this? "Can you help me imprison criminals?"

"Well, they don't call me The Warden for nothing."

"The Warden who got himself killed by his prisoners, or so I'm guessing." When he remained silent, I took that as a yes. I let out a long sigh to give myself a few extra moments to think before he started talking again. "Do I even get the option?"

"Not really," he replied. "But I'm better than the gods. I'm not a God, by the way."

Letting an immortal be hosted in my body probably wasn't the smartest choice I've ever made, but it wasn't really my choice. The Warden, who I soon learned was named Thavon, spent all day bugging me. His spiritual form derived pleasure from hanging out in my peripheral vision.

When Robin and Grant came back, she was not pleased that I hadn't slept and started yelling again. This time, Thavon was also scolding me. I hardly even know the God, immortal, thing, and he was sitting in my head yelling at me for my sleep schedule.

That night, I didn't get a second of sleep. I had a stack of paperwork a mile high and just got the go for it on a raid I had requested a week ago that had gotten shut down five times.

Robin spent the morning yelling until she was called into the lobby by Kent, the sexist secretary. She glared at me as she walked out.

After a minute, I heard her yell something about sleep and could only groan as a response. "You should really sleep more. It's bad for mortals," Thavon told me.

"You don't think I'm aware?" I retorted, noticing a stack of papers on the corner of my desk. "Shit, those are Robin's."

I grabbed the stack and walked out of my office. Robin was talking to someone, possibly a teenager. They were really small.