Late Nights in the Common Room

It's the middle of the night and Andromeda is unable to fall asleep. She finds refuge in front of one of the fireplaces in the Slytherin Common Room and has an unexpected visitor...

Despite being wrapped up in a blanket and sitting on the floor with her back against the sofa, Andromeda was still wide awake. Her mind was racing with thoughts about the trials with the Keepers, trying to find a reason why Ranrok and Rookwood were working together, and on top of all of that, keeping up with her studies by completing the extra assignments from her professors. She was physically exhausted; her body ached in places that she never knew existed until now. It was her mind that refused to let her sleep. Instead of tossing and turning in her bed, she thought a change of scenery would help. She even had one of her books from home opened up in her lap to see if it would calm her mind.

Andromeda was staring blankly at the fire when she heard the entrance to the common room open and footsteps coming down the stairs. Who else was up at this hour? It was past curfew but that did not stop all students from sneaking around the castle, including herself. She glanced over her shoulder and was surprised to see a certain Slytherin.

"Ominis?"

Startled by her voice, he stopped in his tracks. "Andromeda? Why are you up so late? It's past midnight. Shouldn't you be in bed by now?"

"I could ask you the same thing."

He walked over and carefully sat down next to her. "Can't sleep?"

"No. I thought if I sat here to do some reading it may help but so far, I haven't had any luck." Andromeda closed her book in her lap and placed it on the floor.

"And I presume you are taking the time to do some research to aid in Sebastian's quest to find a cure for Anne by reading your book."

She glared right at him; why did he assume that reading her book automatically meant it was to do with Sebastian? Andromeda quickly retorted back by saying, "I may have agreed to help Sebastian but that does not mean I spend every waking moment doing so. I actually like to read for enjoyment or to allow my mind to escape from my racing thoughts..."

Ominis was swift to apologize. "I'm sorry. Sebastian told me about your trip to Feldcroft and what you encountered. I just suspected that you were trying to get more information."

"It's okay." She slowly exhaled and stared back at the fire. "It was not wrong for you to assume. Besides, I highly doubt Mary Shelley is going to give me any answers unless Sebastian wants to create another being..."

"Who?"

Andromeda picked up her book and tossed it into Ominis' lap. "I would have thought that even the wizarding world would have heard of Frankenstein. It's a story about a scientist that essentially creates a monster and brings it to life. It's one of my favorites."

Ominis held the book in his hands, running his fingers over the worn cover. He flipped through the pages which were torn in places. "And you thought reading such a horrific book would help you fall asleep? You are as bad as Sebastian with your late-night reading material."

"Well, now that you put it like that..."

Ominis shook his head but Andromeda could see his soft smile. Her stomach flipped while he handed the book back to her and said, "I do not consider myself a huge reader unless it is required for school."

Andromeda did not know if it was appropriate to ask how he reads despite his blindness. Sebastian told her in the Undercroft that his wand was almost "sentient" and helps him navigate the castle and his surroundings. Does the wand also help him read in some way? Perhaps she should wait before asking such a question. Instead, another idea popped into her head. "I could read to you if you want. I practically have this book memorized but I do have others..."

Ominis interrupted her before she could finish her sentence. "I would like that, but we can do it at another time. It's late and we should probably head to bed."

"You still haven't answered my question."

His brow furrowed in confusion. "What do you mean, I said-"

"Ominis, why did you come into the common room so late!?"

"Oh."

Andromeda crossed her arms while waiting for a response. Why on earth would he be out so late?

Ominis sighed and finally said, "I was avoiding Duncan Hobhouse. He keeps pestering anyone to help him with his damn herbology assignment. He was trying to follow me but luckily, I was able to lose him in one of the corridors. I just went to the Undercroft and hid there until now."

Andromeda broke in a burst of giggles. "Ominis, I am pretty sure he's harmless. Are you trying to say that you are scared of Duncan Hobhouse?"

"What!?! No!" His face immediately turned to a shade of red while he sputter out his words. "It's easy for you to say because you have only been here for a few months while I have known him for years! He's annoying and vile and-"

"Okay! Okay!" Andromeda held up her hands in peace. "I promise I will not say a word that you hid in the Undercroft from your arch-nemesis. Your secret is safe with me."

Ominis scuffed and stood up to make his way to the boy's dormitory. "Perhaps I may consider rescuing you from Duncan if I find that he is pestering you about the same assignment."

She rolled her eyes. "Good night, Ominis."

"Good night, Andromeda."

Once she heard the sound of footsteps disappear behind her, Andromeda gathered herself along with her belongings and walked back to her dormitory. She found that after talking with Ominis, her mind was no longer racing, and was finally ready to fall asleep.

She may have to remember that the next time she has a sleepless night.