Chapter 8: The Melee

Alla, Mira, Elinor, and Megga were walking through the part of the tourney grounds where the tents housed the brave knights who will be competing in the melee later. The area with the tens looked like a small city made from cloth with banners of various houses adorning them. There was the green apple of house Fossoway of New Barell, a golden tree of house Rowan, a purple unicorn of house Brax, the purple lightning bolt of house Dondarrion, the silver arrows of house Hunter, and many more. But the tent they were looking for was the one with the golden rose of House Tyrell.

While they were walking, she was reminiscing about the events from the previous day, she had a good time during their little trip around the city, and she had not forgotten the people that lived in Flea Bottom and that they needed help. It would take some persuasion on her part, but she could make her father give the people what they need the most. The feast was enjoyable for the most part; while she danced with the prince, she even saw her grandmother smile.

The only thing she found odd was Mira and Jon dancing that night. She knew that Mira liked dancing, but she chooses who she danced with carefully and that she never danced with Jon before, declining his offers every time. Mira is good friends with Jon, so she did not see a real reason for the refusals, so once she asked why she did so, Mira refused to give her an answer. She might not know what or why she changed her mind, but she was happy that her friend finally got over whatever was holding her back.

"Here we are," said Alla, and Margaery was brought out of her thoughts. They stood in front of a large green and gold tent with a vast golden rose at its entrance. From inside, they could hear several voices and the rattling of armor being put on.

The group walked in and met the sight of Jon and Loras putting their armor on with the help of their squires, with Garlan standing in front of them.

Garlan turned and looked at them as they came in. "Margaery, come to wish these sad sobs a good fortune in the melee," Garlan said half mockingly.

"Indeed, brother I have, we all did actually."

"Well, they are going to need it."

"I'm going to need not luck," Loras said as the squire put one last piece of his armor on him.

"Trust me, you are going to need it if Smalljon or the Strongboar hit you in the head," said Jon.

"They are not going to get a chance," replied Loras.

"Let's hope one of them doesn't hit you in the face because that's all you really have besides your ego," Garlan said with a smile.

"I have many fine qualities besides my face, brother, and don't you forget that."

"Oh, I won't."

The fitting of the armor was done for both. Loras wore an ornate green and gold armor decorated with several roses, while Jon wore green and gray armor like one Loras wore but with a bit fewer details and a wolf's pelt around his shoulders. Both had their swords in their hands; Loras was a castle forged blade with a rose on the hilt, while Jon wielded a sword her father gave him as a gift a few years ago. The long sword has a snarling wolf's head as a pommel. Jon loved that sword so much that he barely took it out of its chest back at Highgarden, so seeing that he was going to use it in this tourney was a bit of a surprise.

She looked at Jon, "You are really going to use it?"

Jon looked at the sword. "Yes, it's been sitting in my room for too long; a sword should be used, not just be there to gather dust. And besides, if there is the slightest chance, I might lose it to pretty boy here might as well use it."

"It's going to be mine by tomorrow's end," Loras said proudly.

"Not if I can help it," Jon replied.

"We will see who gets the sword tomorrow; today, just try to keep your heads down."