Chapter 11: Machinations of the Thorns

"To Jon and Loras!" people around them shouted; lords from the Reach, Stormlands, North, and even the Riverlands were seated around them at the Reach table, it had gotten a little cramped, but neither he nor Jon really minded it, something he could not say for his grandmother who left almost immediately once lord Beric and a large group of Stormlanders joined them, Left and Right escorting her back to their rooms.

Father was in an excellent mood and was conversing with Lord Jason Mallister and Pakster Redwyne while mother and Margaery were discussing something with lady Dacey. Smalljon had put Garlan up to a drinking game, and Loras doubted his brother could beat the giant. Jon was sitting on the other end of the table, laughing along with his sister Sansa, Elinor, Samwell, and even Dickon. Everyone was in a good mood, and he was grateful for that, considering what happened earlier that day. He was sitting with Renly opposite of his father and mother.

"Two Clegane's downed in a single day, you and Jon make quite the pair," Renly said. "The people are still gossiping about him using my brother's hammer."

"I could not ask for a better friend; he is always there to watch my back when I need him.

"And also, sometimes when you don't need him."

"You are not going to let that go, are you?"

"I'm just messing with you; he is a good lad. My brother has taken a liking to an idea of having a Stark in his Kingsguard, so when either one of them kicks the bucket or is dismissed from the service, either he or someone else could take that place," Renly said, looking at Loras.

"You mean me."

"I do, yes."

"Honestly, I would love nothing more, but," Loras looked at Jon, "there is still time for that."

"Well, if I was king, I would name you lord commander."

"Oh really," Loras said, looking deeply into Renly's eyes.

"Sure, why not? You are a skilled fighter and would look good in a white cloak."

"I'm honored, Lord Renly," Loras chuckled. "Who knows, maybe one day you will be king."

Renly looked at the high table, moving his gaze to his brother and then to the crown prince. "That is an unlikely scenario."

"Well, if it even happens, you will have my sword and the Reach."

"Surely, you jest?" Renly asked, surprised.

"No, my lord."

"I would never go against Robert, our relationship might not be perfect, but he is still my brother."

"Willis, Garlan, Margaery, and Jon are my family, and I would never do anything to hurt them," Loras said.

"Well, I will drink to the man who saved you today," Renly said as he raised his cup. "To Jon Snow."

"To Jon," Loras said and raised his cup; the two cups clanged when they hit each other.

"So tell me, why didn't you joust him? By the looks of it, you could have defeated him."

"I didn't want to fight a man who just saved my life," Loras looked and Jon, "and besides, he is not at his full strength; winning like that would not mean anything."

"Truly noble of you, a knight from a tale truly," Renly said the last part said in a seductive tone.

Jon

His shoulder hurt like hell, but the milk of the poppy did manage to alleviate most of the pain. He and Loras shared the victory, and he was honestly glad he had not faced his friend because he would have probably lost in one or two tilts being in the condition he was now. The Hound sure did a number on him. Seeing his sister smile when Loras crowned her made it all worth it; she had not stopped smiling since. Everything was how it should be; he had the best friend a man could ask for, he had Margaery, and his family loved him.