Chapter 39: Fire and Blood

Jon, Loras and Gilbur rode at full gallop in the direction of the Watchtower in search of Anárion, they knew that Elendil's youngest son could not be that far, but it felt as if leagues separated them.

Until finally, they saw a silhouette in the distance.

"It's King Anárion!" Gilbur said, filled with joy at the sight of his King.

"Anárion!" Jon shouted; his voice carried over the plains like a summer's wind; this caused the son of Elendil to nearly fall off his horse in surprise.

"Ser Jon? Ser Loras? ... Gilbur?" Anarion asked in surprise.

"King Anárion, praise the Valar ..." Jon said, happy to have made it on time.

"You must turn back; this is foolish," Jon said, staring at Anárion, but Elendil's son shook his head.

"No, I must hurry ... My men need me, Benegar needs me, though he is a mighty warrior he cannot hope to face a Worm of Morgoth I must ..."

"You must listen to reason; your friend was foolish leading, so few men to face a beast such as that, he could have returned to the city and asked for aid from your father... You will do the same, do not abandon reason for madness, my lord I beg of you, "Jon said, endeavouring to push Anárion to comprehend the foolishness of his actions.

"I can't abandon my friend," Anárion said in a stern tone and prepared to ride off, but Jon stopped him by grabbing him by the shoulder.

"I also had a faithful companion once. He was my cousin, but we grew up as brothers, and I loved him as one, his name was Robb, and he became king, despite his youth and inexperience, he proved to be a skilled warrior and a brilliant military commander, he won every battle he fought, filling himself and his men with glory ... But he proved to be poor in wisdom and reason ... He made foolish mistakes, turning all those loyal against him, alas when he finally came to his senses... it was too late; those who had sworn to serve him unto death slew him at his own wedding, and his corpse left for the carrion, a cowardly and dishonourable way to die. Especially for a king, "Jon said, sadly remembering Robb's fate.

Loras was taken aback he knew that the death of Robb Stark was something that still tormented the hearts of Jon and his sisters. The Knight of Flowers did not expect him to speak of it, and less for such a purpose, but Jon hoped to make Anárion see reason.

"That was cowardice and a disgusting act of betrayal," Anárion said, outraged by Jon's tale.

"It was ... But ... the truth is that my cousin was responsible for what happened to him ... He did what honour dictated ... But not reason, despite numerous warnings from his advisers and as so they needn't lift a sword to defeat him, my cousin Robb did not listen to reason ... He paid the price for it with his head and a dagger in his heart, "Jon said sadly.

"I'm sorry for what happened to your cousin ... But if you wish to stop me ..." Anárion began.

"I want you to see reason and not throw your life away on a whim", Jon said with severity.

"I will go to the Watchtower of the border to ask for the location of the worm's lair; then I will go to join Belegar and battle this servant of shadow," Anárion said with conviction.

But Jon, Loras, and Gilbur realized it was folly.

"My Lord, that plan is ..." Gilbur started, terrified.

"It is not wise, King Anárion ... A Wyrm of Morgoth ... It is one of the most dangerous beasts in Middle-earth, its armour is like tenfold shields, its teeth are swords, and its claws spears, It took a great company of Dwarves to lay low one of the foul beasts... If you venture into that lair, you shall never return, "Jon said with grim determination.