six

"It's Friday already! Crazy how fast time flies by, am I right?" Jake blurted out with lots of energy as he packed his youngest daughter's lunch for primary school. She asked for less vegetables and more sweets, hence why Jake needed to prepare everything without letting Neytiri see.

Early sunbeams crawled their way through the thin curtains in the kitchen and brightened up most of the room. The warm and cozy weather boosted the Sully family's mood a lot, minimizing their antipathy against another day filled with hours of school and work.
Even the beautiful birdsongs and the high-pitched chirping from the outside added to the enjoyable atmosphere in the air.

Neytiri poured herself a glass of what appeared to be a green smoothie made of kiwi, cucumber, avocado, and a few other nutritious fruits and vegetables. "Did you guys make any friends yet?" she asked calmly after taking a modest first sip.
"Not really," Kiri replied, therefore, while finishing the last bit of her scrambled eggs. "That's why we always spend our breaks together, the three of us."

Sighing, the woman joined her children at the table as she placed the smoothie right next to her. Her husband quickly closed the zipper of Tuk's pink backpack before deciding to engage in the conversation with his coffee nestled between his palms. "Don't worry, kids; it's only been a few days. Just wait a little more", he encouraged them before gulping down half of the liquid in his mug. The fact that anyone could like the sharp flavor of black coffee on their tongue surprised the kids all. Jake didn't have much of a choice, though, since Neytiri never really agreed with the two tablespoons of sugar the man put in his coffee. And because it was never a major thing, he began to acclimatize and adopt her lifestyle.

"Neteyam," their mother exclaimed out to the boy on the other side of her, causing his limbs to stop picking up another piece of egg. He waited for more information while he watched the woman with obvious anxiety in light of her abrupt, stern tone. "Did you make a good impression on your teachers? Do they like you?" Neytiri inquired, letting the well-known words slip over her full lips. Those questions elicited an instantaneous grunt from the child, which he quickly regretted. It wasn't the first time his mother had inquired about his relationship with his professors, and it certainly wouldn't be the last. Every year, and sometimes every few months, she would ask him the same question to ensure that he was "on the safe side". She would attend multiple meetings and allow herself to be informed on Neteyam's status and present position by the teachers themselves.

Therefore, it was only understandable that the 18-year-old would get annoyed by that after some time. He gazed at her with narrowed eyes, trying to blend out the many faces of his other family members staring at him. "Yes, mother, I'm pretty sure no one has anything against me," he said softly as he placed his fork on the dish in front of him. His appetite vanished after Neytiri returned to that particular subject.
The general atmosphere around the na'vi became tense soon, and the voices went silent one after the other. Only the occasional clinking of metal scraping against porcelain irritated their ears.

A quick glance at the loudly ticking clock indicated to Neteyam that it was almost time to begin the drive to school, which increased the anxiousness in his veins. The kids hadn't really established any friends yet, but they had all observed the intense staring the oldest brother experienced on a daily basis. Lo'ak and Kiri couldn't blame the students; Neteyam was lucky enough to inherit the good genes, making him look like a male model straight out of a magazine. But up until now, nobody dared to make a move.

And Ao'nung? Neteyam and he haven't really spoken another word since the incident in the restroom. They did, however, frequently catch each other staring. Whether they were strolling past each other in the hallways, the cafeteria, or even in class. But, because Neteyam had witnessed his friend group talking—even laughing—about him on occasion, he couldn't figure out what these shared looks signified. He didn't really care, though.

"Good," his mother said abruptly as he watched her rise from the wooden chair. Jake signaled for Tuk to go upstairs and change into new clothing because her school was in the opposite direction of the highschool and started a little later.

Without delaying, Neteyam repeated his father's instructions to his siblings, instructing them to put on their shoes and jackets and announcing that they would be leaving in approximately five minutes.
He watched them dash for the front door, gathered all the plates into a heap, and hurriedly threw them, along with the cutlery, into the dishwasher.

The siblings grabbed their backpacks and shouted their goodbyes to Jake and Neytiri before storming off to Neteyam's black Jeep, which was parked directly in front of the yard. This time, Kiri made sure to distract Lo'ak from the passenger seat by starting a conversation about that gorgeous girl in his class. He informed his sister that he had now learned the name of the girl and that it was Tsireya.
Lo'ak kept blurting out what he knew about her—which wasn't much—unaware that Kiri had abruptly sped up her walk and raced the last steps to the vehicle. And by the time the boy realized what she had done, Kiri was already comfortably ensconced in the front, with Neteyam on her other side busily stepping into it.

"Oh, come on!" Lo'ak grunted in rage as he opened the back door, entered, and then closed it again with considerable force. "You tricked me!"

"Guys, it's not even that big of a deal..", the oldest brother simply sighed as he turned his keys and got the car to start running.
Lo'ak rolled his eyes in response. "Whatever," he muttered. "Do you have the address for the party?"

While starting to drive off, Neteyam cast a quick glance up in the mirror to look at his brother. "I do, yeah. Ao'nung sent it to me via Instagram," he told him just before turning into another street. Honestly, Neteyam believed it was odd that Ao'nung purposefully searched for his socials rather than simply telling him face-to-face. The boy didn't even follow him; he just messaged him the address without writing anything else.

"Great! You'll be coming as well, right?"

"We'll have to see about that."
.
.