thirteen

Neteyam grunted slightly at the burning sensation in his face. It covered his skin and eyelids completely, causing him to scrunch up his features and quickly shove the blanket over his head.
He was so incredibly tired.

In that exact moment, the boy was able to feel painful stings crawling up his brain, adding to the unpleasant mood he was already blessed with this early.

A small peek over the covers caused his heart to stop beating for a second. He was met with a completely different room than he remembered his own to look like. It was bigger—extremely large. And there seemed to be a balcony with huge windows and white curtains on each side. Neteyam felt panic flooding his veins as he threw the blanket away from his body and jumped to his feet immediately, forgetting about his pounding head on accident.

A long groan left his throat as the boy needed to sit back again, rubbing his forehead on his palm in order to reduce the pain. However, much to his disappointment, that move only caused his suffering to end up being even worse.
As Neteyam glanced to the nightstand right next to him, a bottle and what looked like painkillers on there quickly caught his attention. He grabbed the packet swiftly. Ibuprofen, it said.
"Perfect," Neteyam thought to himself with a cracked smile before taking out one pill and opening the bottle with immense speed.

Even though it only took one big gulp for the pill to slide down his throat, it would take some time for the effect to kick in and help him in his agony.
Neteyam didn't care about that, though, as long as it made that throbbing pain go away. Or at least make it more bearable.

The boy was instantly flooded with a wave of immense dizziness as soon as he stood back up. It felt way too overwhelming, hence why he had to support himself on the wall as he made slow steps to the door. Considering that Neteyam's memory from yesterday hasn't fully returned yet, he was more than confused when he looked down on him, wearing gray joggers. Those were definitely not his, and those were things he would definitely never wear in public.

It was then that the young man started to freak out a little. He didn't like how slowly his memory was returning; the most recent event he can recall was when two men approached him in the kitchen. After then, everything in Neteyam's head just seemed to be an empty space. He hoped to recall this quickly because it was starting to get a little worrisome.

He didn't know where his phone, keys, or clothes were, but in that moment, those weren't his priorities. It was more important to find out whose place this was and how he got here.
With a sigh escaping his lips, Neteyam quietly opened the door before taking a small peek, widening his eyes immediately. He was met with such a luxurious interior that he couldn't help but stare in awe for a split second. The person who lived here had to be rich, without a doubt.

It took some time for him to get to the stairs, but when he eventually arrived, Neteyam began to place one foot in front of the other carefully. It took all his strength not to suddenly trip and fall over due to the ongoing hurricane destroying the insides of his head.
The closer the boy approached the floor downstairs, the clearer the voices he heard coming from there became. Were there two people? Or perhaps three? He didn't know. Only the high-pitched vocals of a girl rang through his ears, causing them to perk up.

Following the sounds after much deliberation, Neteyam sluggishly continued on his path in search of answers.

Right after peeking around the corner that seemed to turn to the kitchen, Neteyam's eyes caught someone he most definitely did not expect to see here.

"Lo'ak?" the boy blurted with a puzzled face. His tense posture went back to normal in an instant the moment his gaze fell upon his younger brother. He was sitting on one of the barstools at the kitchen island while another girl busied herself with peeling a clementine. Tsireya was her name, if Neteyam remembered correctly. But why were they at her house?
By now, his memory had been restored to the point where those guys offered him some drinks, saying something along the lines that they were alcohol-free. Which now turns out to be undoubtedly false.

Moreover, they definitely put something in his drink, considering that he couldn't get that drunk simply from such a relatively small amount.
Neteyam felt so stupid.

"Oh, you're awake!" Tsireya cheered happily after turning around and flinching from the sudden scare. She waved the boy to the counter and indicated that he should take a seat next to Lo'ak. "Bro, it's almost 1 p.m! You were sleeping like a rock!" the younger boy exclaimed as he put a slice in his mouth, the slightly sour taste tingling his tastebuds.

Neteyam only sighed in response. "Yeah, I'm not feeling too well either," he muttered, rubbing his eyes.
Within seconds, Tsireya grabbed a glass from the cupboard and filled it with filtered water before placing it in front of the boy with a heartwarming smile. A small grin plastered itself on Neteyam's lips as he thanked her. He took a sip before placing it back on the counter.

"How did we even get here?" the 18-year-old proceeded to ask while trying his best to keep his tiredness out of this conversation.
He was confused to see the others' sudden change to a shocked expression as soon as those words left his lips. They probably didn't expect him to have lost most of his memory.

Tsireya huffed apologetic. "My brother drove us home. He used your Jeep, so no need to worry about it still being parked at the other house," she told him before offering a slice of the clementine she just peeled, but Neteyam declined politely.
"Your brother?" He returned the question instead.

"Yes, Ao'nung"

The boy gulped. "What?"

Ao'nung was Tsireya's brother?
If he put two and two together correctly, this indicated that this was Ao'nung's house as well.
He couldn't comprehend why the other boy would assist him and take him to his home.

While Neteyam mindlessly got lost in his trail of thoughts, something suddenly clicked.

Immediately, his face flushed a deep crimson, and his chest began to burn from various different emotions that went through him at that exact moment.

Ao'nung.

Yesterday, he kissed Ao'nung.
.
.