sixteen

Neteyam ran up the stairs to the next floor with quick steps. The cold marble pattern beneath his feet led him to quicken his speed, attempting to escape the icy contact as much as possible.

Suddenly, just before taking his last step and moving around the corner to Ao'nung's bedroom, the boy walked into someone who appeared from behind the wall. His forehead high-fives the person's chest with an inaudible thud. Neteyam's eyes narrowed. Due to the shock, he was having trouble controlling his balance. One of his feet faltered and slipped off the last step underneath him.
In this split second, Neteyam's heart stopped beating. His throat gasped for air.
Fortunately, the young man was able to catch the railing with his right hand just moments before he would have seen himself lying across the floor. Perhaps with a broken arm or even a leg. A wave of relief washed over him when he realized the sweat on his palm didn't cause him to slip off once more.

It took merely ten seconds for Neteyam's body to come down from the sudden rush of adrenaline and fear. However, those were quickly replaced when he looked up, right into Ao'nung's sea-blue eyes. A thousand emotions were reflected by a single spark in each iris. Although the younger boy seemed rather unbothered, not displaying any feelings through expressions or gestures, Neteyam knew that this scared him as well. It may not be visible to everyone, but he could make out due to Ao'nung's repeated blinking and frequent gulps.

Quickly, those thoughts turned into anger.
"Can't you watch where you're going?" Neteyam spat violently, astonished by the volume of his voice. "I almost fell down the stairs because of you".

The other boy scoffed. "Yeah, almost," were the words that left his mouth in a provocative tone as a response. He raised one eyebrow and tilted his chin slightly upward. "You're still standing, though, am I right? Also, you were the one that walked into me," Ao'nung continued coldly, before casting a quick glimpse at Neteyam's hand, which was still lying on top of the railing. Slim fingers traced their way across the gleaming white marble. However, he looked away in an instant as soon as the boy moved his arm away, now letting it hang beside his hips. Immediately after, their eyes locked yet again.
Although Ao'nung broke the contact rather abruptly, he was still able to feel the intensity of their shared glance coursing through his veins.

His heartbeats accelerated uncomfortably. He knew exactly why Neteyam came back up here, despite Ao'nung's assurance that he'd bring the other boy's belongings. He was aware because he would have done the same thing. Neteyam's uneasiness in the kitchen was practically palpable, much more so than Rotxo's sarcasm.
"What are you doing here?" Ao'nung continued to ask after not receiving any response from the other. Crimson red flushed Neteyam's cheeks, and he appeared to be stumbling around his thoughts.

Despite the other's lack of words, Ao'nung couldn't bear the agonizing silence any longer. It was obvious that they needed to talk, but it was also clear that none of them wanted to take that step.

The teal na'vi let out a sigh.
He stuffed the clothes beneath his armpit and reached his arm to grab Neteyam's wrist, drawing him up and slamming the youngster against the wall without hesitating for a second.
Even though their height difference wasn't huge, Ao'nung felt as if he would tower over the other at this time.
Neteyam's eyes widened and his brows lifted slightly. He inhaled deeply. "What are you-" the older na'vi began cautiously, only to be cut off almost immediately.

"Listen," Ao'nung demanded fiercely. "We both know what happened last night, which means that no one," he said, shoving Neteyam's arms more against the wall and approaching his flattened ear, "will ever find out about this, do you understand?"

Shivers ran down Neteyam's spine when Ao'nung's warm breath touched his skin. As the vocals vibrated their way into his auricle, he heard the other's deep voice more clearly than ever before.
Because their chests were squeezed together, the Sully brother felt his lungs being crushed by Ao'nung's might, causing him to shut off his capacity to breathe.

Their hearts were racing, and the air around them felt thick and tense.
Neteyam's gentle but deliberate nod caused the other boy to hesitantly remove himself from Neteyam's ear. He came to a halt in front of his lips, staring him down.

As their gazes locked, the boys felt like time had slowed down. Everything in their path came to a halt. Even the air and the sounds emanating from the kitchen.

Ao'nung's mind went blank. First, he looked at Neteyam's right eye, then his left, and lastly, down at his lips. The lips he had kissed this morning were just as full and soft as they had been before.
Everything went faster than expected. He began to move even closer, only needing a few millimeters to close the distance.
Neteyam's breathing hitched. He felt too paralyzed to move.

With Ao'nung's eyelids slowly closing, Neteyam copied him without thinking.

And then, right before their hungry lips met..

Ao'nung stepped back and left.