🐚34~ Envy

Epel reminds them that there is no time to lose. They need to check the runes on the back of each mirror and find everything they need to break the curse. Epel photographed the runes from the mirror in the school before he left. To their great luck, the ingredients they require are stocked in the alchemy room and can also be found in the greenhouse.

***

The mirror in the school, already started to take on a humanoid form and attacked most of the students. "What the hell is that?" Deuce says in shock, and even the others can't believe what they see. The mirror looks up at them and feels the other pieces. "Come to me!" The mirror says in an echoing voice, which gives Ace and Idia the creeps. Then the mirrors started to move in their bags and try to get away from them. The humanoid mirror grows even more after each of its original parts becomes one with it again.

Jade and Jamil get the ingredients they need for the mirror, while the others distract it from them. The mirror not only reflects attacks. It even imitates its targets and lets shards on the ground and walls grow as it pleases. Then the mirror suddenly jumps into the air and grabs Floyd by his neck. The mirror can see what he loves the most and what he fears the most.

Floyd's eyes widen when the mirror looks like Annabeth. The mirror uses the looks and voice of the person they want to protect and uses it against them. The mirror also wears a white bodysuit with gloves and heels. Riddle attacks her, forcing her to let go of Floyd. "Didn't your mommy tell you that small kids can't play with adults?", she says. Floyd doesn't know what to do because the mirror mimics his lover, and he's unsure if it's her or the mirror.

But he attacks her and throws her down the roof. The mirror breaks in half, which gives them some time. The mirror groans in pain. The lower half lies further away. Because of the fall, the mirror stopped its imitation. Meanwhile, Jade and Jamil prepare the potion before returning to the others. "Jade, Jamil be careful!" Floyd and Riddle shout over to them. The mirror fixed itself and took on Annabeth's image. "Jade," she says with a gentle smile on her lips, and Jade hesitates. "That's not the real Anna." Riddle says while spitting blood.

"Don't listen to them. That's all a lie. Please come here and let me hug you." She stretches her arms out and Jade moves over to her. Jamil tries to stop him, but Jade pushes him away as he walks closer to that fake Annabeth. Jade stands before her. He hugged her which made her happy. "Such a good boy. I knew you're my best boy.", she whispers, while the fingers on her right hand grow larger and sharper.

Before she could even stab him, he stabbed her with the potion into her. "Your imitation is not bad, but Anna never says one of us is better than the other." He smiles coldly and the mirror backs off. The magic it collected leaves its body. "NO!" it cries, and Jade uses the magic spell to undo the curse. She tries to distract Jade, so that he would make a mistake reciting the spell. However, the students attack her and stop her from harming him.

As soon as it loses the power it has collected, it falls to its knees. "I just wanted...", it mumbles, sounding like an echo. "To be like them...", are its last words before turning back into a normal, very large mirror. White lights come out of the mirror's dark surface, and then the real Annabeth comes out of it. Once she is out, Jade grabs her arm and pulls her into a gentle embrace. "Jade..." She looks worried and softly touches his cheek. Jade is glad she is back. Some days had passed since they started their journey. Floyd drags himself over to them and hugs her too, even while hurt.

There are thousands of white lights, and the students wonder what they are. Those lights turn one by one into humanoid figures in white robes. Under them are not only adults and elderly people but also teenagers and small children. "Thank you," says each passed-away demon, before disappearing to their homeland. Only one stays behind.