Chapter 1

June 2020

"Chandler, I think Miles and I are going to leave," Katie, her roommate said, "You ready to go?"

"I think I'm gonna stay a bit longer," Chandler said, "I'll just get an Uber home."

"Are you sure you're all right?" Katie asked.

"I'm fine," she shrugged, "I'll see you guys at home."

"Please text me if your plans change," Katie said hugging her friend before walking off with her boyfriend.

Chandler drank the shot in front of her quickly. She knew she should have gone home with Katie and Miles but she just wanted to forget. Earlier that day she'd been fired from the job she'd had for 3 years. Now she had no idea what she was going to do. "Rough day?" a voice from beside her asked.

She turned to see a blonde man sitting beside her. He was sitting but she could tell he was rather tall and had quite a muscular build. "You have no idea."

"I could imagine," the man said taking his own shot.

"Roughy day?" Chandler asked.

"How about I'll tell you about my day if you tell me about yours?" Chandler wasn't sure if she wanted to dump her problems on this random stranger. He did ask though. She most likely wouldn't ever see him again after this so why not?

"I got fired from the job that I've had for 3 years," Chandler said, "Thankfully I have some money in savings but I know that won't last long. I have no idea what I'm going to do."

"That sucks," the man said, "But I definitely think my week tops that."

Chandler scoffed. How could he have had a worse week than her? "Try me."

"My girlfriend of 3 years broke up with me a few days ago," he said. Chandler felt horrible for him. Being dumped by your long-term girlfriend is way worse than losing your job.

"That sucks. I'm sorry," she said.

"I mean what are ya gonna do about it?" he sighed.

"We could order more shots?" Chandler suggested.

"I'll buy," he said.

"No. Let me," Chandler offered, "I would say your shitty week trumps mine." She waved the bartender over and ordered two more shots.

"Vodka?" He asked as the bartender set the glasses down in front of them.

"Only the best thing to take a shot of," Chandler said.

"I beg to differ," the man laughed.

"Do you want the free shot or not?"

"To our shitty weeks," he said raising his glass.

"To our shitty weeks," Chandler said clinking her glass against his. They both threw back the shots.

"Now it's my turn to buy the shot," he said turning to the bartender.

"Whiskey?" Chandler asked.

"How did you put it...only the best thing to take a shot of?"

"To the best thing to take a shot of," Chandler said raising her glass.

"To the beautiful stranger I met in this bar who's kind of gotten my mind off my shitty week." Chandler couldn't help but blush at his comment. "Sorry that was stupid," he laughed, "I guess I've kind of lost my game over the past three years."

"It's fine," Chandler said, "Definitely not the worst someone's ever said to me. My old boss onetime said and I quote 'We're all out of cookies so I thought maybe I could take a bite out of you'."

"Oh my god. That horrible," the man laughed, "What did you say?"

"Nothing. I'd just recently gotten the job and I didn't want to lose it," Chandler shrugged, "Maybe it's good I lost that job."

"That was your most recent job?" he asked, "Why did you stay so long? Your boss sounds like an ass."

"He was but it paid really well," Chandler said, "I have a lot of debt from trying to put myself through college. Which now seems stupid since I'm not even using the degree I went for."

"What's your degree in?" he asked.

"Education. I've always wanted to be a teacher," Chandler said, "But after I graduated and realized how much debt I had I knew I wouldn't be able to pursue my dream career. There's no way I'd make enough money to pay it off and to survive."

"I'm sorry to hear that," he said, "My mom's a teacher. I know it takes a special kind of person to do that job. And I know the pay isn't the best."

"It is what it is," Chandler said, "Maybe one day I'll be able to teach."

"What about your parents?" he asked, "They couldn't help you out?" One thing she hated talking about was her parents.

"You wanna go dance?" Chandler asked changing the subject.

"I don't really dance," the man said.

"Come on," Chandler stood up, "You wouldn't leave a pretty stranger who made you forget about your shitty week hanging would you?" The man laughed lightly before looking at the girl. As their eyes met she could tell he was giving in.

"Fine. But I'm not promising to be any good," he said before standing from his seat. Like she expected he towered over her. She grabbed ahold of his hand and pulled him toward the small dance floor of the bar. There were a few people on it but overall it wasn't crowded.

Chandler smiled up at the man before turning her back to him. She swayed her hips back and forth to the music. Glancing behind her she saw that he was standing there kind of awkwardly. She didn't know if it was the alcohol or if it was because she was attracted to the man but she quickly grabbed his hands placing them on her hips. "You just gotta let loose."

She interlaced their fingers as she ran the man's hands up her body. Grinding her hips against him she could feel the alcohol running through her veins. He pulled her back into him finally relaxing. Chandler turned around so that she was facing the man. "Wanna get out of here?"

"Your place?" he asked.

"I have a roommate. Could we go to yours?" Chandler asked.

"Sure," he said.

"Only one more thing," Chandler said, "I don't really go home with people I don't know so what's your name?"

"I'm Joe."

"I'm Chandler."