Chapter 17

Double update...

January 2021

"Are you going to lunch with Katie today?" Joe asked as he walked into the room she'd been staying in.

"Yeah. We're going to meet up soon at this diner that we used to go to all of the time," Chandler said as she put on her makeup.

"I think some of the guys on the team are going to come over tonight for burgers and beer," Joe said.

"That should be fun," Chandler said, "You haven't hung out with all of them in a while."

"Yeah. They're all pretty bummed about the season-ending," Joe said, "Figured getting together might cheer them up."

"I think it will be nice," Chandler said, "Do I need to pick up anything while I'm out?"

"I don't think so," Joe said, "I'll text you if I think of anything."

"Perfect," Chandler said.

"So since Katie is getting married soon does that mean she and Miles all be moving in together?" Joe asked.

"I'm sure they will," Chandler said, "What married couples don't live together?"

"So does that mean you're going to need a place to live or are you going to rent the apartment by yourself?" Joe asked. Chandler stopped what she was doing to look at Joe in the mirror.

"Uh I don't know," Chandler said, "I hadn't really thought about it."

"Well, how expensive is your rent?" Joe asked.

"I mean it's pretty up there," Chandler said, "It's a spacious two-bedroom apartment in town. I can afford it with a roommate but no way I could on my own."

"Would you really want to get another roommate?" Joe asked, "Especially with a baby on the way."

"I'm not sure," Chandler said, "I guess I could always get a smaller place. That way I wouldn't have to get a roommate."

"But you need to have room for the baby," Joe said, "A cramped one-bedroom apartment wouldn't be good for that."

"Well, what else am I supposed to do?" Chandler asked, "I won't be able to afford the rent in a bigger apartment by myself."

"Why don't you move in here?" Joe asked.

"Very funny," Chandler said getting up and walking into the closet to change her outfit.

"I'm being serious," Joe said. Chandler poked her head out of her closet looking at the man sitting on her bed. She narrowed her eyes trying to figure out if Joe was being sincere.

"Come on, Joe," Chandler said, "We aren't even together."

"Yeah but we're having a baby together," Joe said, "Don't you think it would be better if we both lived under the same roof?" She knew what Joe was saying was true. It would be better for the baby if they lived in the same house. But living with someone is a big step.

"I don't know," Chandler shook her head.

"Chandler," Joe said grabbing her hand. She turned to look up at him. "Just think about it."

"Fine. I'll think about it," Chandler agreed.

"Good. Now you better get going or you're gonna be late for lunch," Joe said dropping her hand.

"I'll see you later," Chandler said, "Don't forget to text me if you need anything."

••••

The waiter brought out their food and Katie and Chandler sat at the table. "So now that you and Miles are engaged I assume you'll be moving in together."

"Yeah," Katie said, "With you gone, I practically live at his house anyway."

"So what do you think we should do with the apartment?" Chandler asked.

"Umm I don't know," Katie said, "I hadn't really thought that far ahead. Of course, if you want it I'd be more than welcome to sign the whole lease over to you."

"You know I can't afford the rent on my own," Chandler said, "I'd have to get a roommate and I don't want to do that."

"So we just don't renew our lease then?" Katie asked.

"I think that's the only option," Chandler said.

"Where will you stay?" Katie asked.

"Funny you ask that," Chandler said, "Joe actually asked me to move in today."

"He did?!" Katie questioned, "Well that's exciting!"

"Yeah except I don't know if I can," Chandler said.

"Why not? Katie asked.

"I don't know," Chandler said, "I mean we aren't technically together. Don't you think it would be weird if we lived together?"

"You guys are having a baby together," Katie said, "Plus you guys already practically live together."

"That's different," Chandler said, "I'm just staying there so that I can help him."

"Isn't Joe up and walking around now?" Katie asked, "Does he really need help anymore?"

"He still needs help with some things," Chandler said, "He can't stand for a long period of time."

"Well it doesn't matter why you're there," Katie said, "You guys have still lived together for over a month. I don't think it would be such a bad idea."

"Maybe you're right," Chandler said, "It would be easier to raise the baby under one roof. When the baby was born I'd probably be over there a lot anyway."

"Exactly," Katie said, "And you already have your own room and everything. Not much would change."

"So this is it then?" Chandler asked.

"I guess it is," Katie said.

"I can't believe we're going to get rid of the apartment," Chandler laughed.

"I mean we were bound to grow up someday," Katie said, "We couldn't be those 18-year-old girls who moved to Cincinnati to find themselves forever."

"I guess we couldn't," Chandler said, "But man was it a wild ride."

"Hey just because we aren't going to be living together doesn't mean we won't continue to have a wild ride," Katie said, "You can't get rid of me that easy."

"That's right. We still have a baby shower and a wedding to plan," Chandler said, "That is if you don't elope."

"We haven't decided yet," Katie said, "But you'll be the first to know when we do."