Chapter 20

Joe and Chandler walked through the front door of the house. Chandler had never been happier. "Why don't you go get ready for bed and I'll make us some hot chocolate," Joe said.

"Ready for bed in your room?" Chandler asked.

"Only if you're comfortable with it," Joe said.

"Of course I am," Chandler said, "I'll see you in there." Joe kissed Chandler on the cheek before walking into the kitchen. With a smile on her face, Chandler walked into Joe's room. She started washing her face when the phone started ringing. It must have been Katie wondering how the date went. She was going to be so excited that she was right.

"Hey, Katie," Chandler said, "You were right!"

"It's actually your mother," the person on the phone said. Chandler looked down to see an unknown number on her phone.

"How did you get this number?" Chandler asked.

"We got it from cousin Emma," her dad said, "Which is so unfortunate that we had to get the number from her."

"You had to get it from her because you aren't supposed to have it," Chandler said, "I don't want to hear from you guys."

"Now sweetie," her mom said, "Don't be like that. What did we ever do to deserve this treatment?"

"You asking me that question is exactly why I don't want to hear from you."

"Oh don't be so sensitive, Chandler," her father said, "We miss seeing you."

"Did you guys need something?" Chandler asked.

"Yes. Your father saw you in the news," her mom said, "Why didn't you tell us you were pregnant?"

"Especially with Joe Burrow being the supposed father," he said, "That is news your parents should know."

"I didn't tell you because I don't talk to you," Chandler said, "For good reason, I would like to add."

"So it's true then," her dad said, "That Joe Burrow is the father.

"Yes," Chandler said.

"Well your father and I have decided to come down to Cincinnati," her mom said.

"What? No!" Chandler said, "Absolu--"

"We'll be heading down next week," her mom said, "We are looking forward to seeing you again."

"And to meet Joe," her dad added.

"No you guys ca--"

"Love you, darling," her mom said before hanging up the phone. Chandler groaned as she ran her hands through her hair. What was she supposed to do now? She hadn't seen or heard from her parents in over 5 years. Of course, now that she is associated with someone who was in the spotlight they wanted to come back into her life.

"Are you alright?" Joe asked as he walked into the bathroom carrying two mugs of hot chocolate.

"No. Everything is not all right," Chandler said.

"What's wrong?" Joe asked sitting the mugs down, "Is it the baby?"

"No. The baby is fine," Chandler said, "I just got off the phone."

"Who was on the phone?" Joe asked.

"My parents."

"I thought you don't talk to your parents?" Joe asked.

"I don't. Or at least I haven't in the last 5 years," Chandler said, "That is until tonight."

"Well, what did they want?" Joe asked.

"They're coming down to Cincinnati," Chandler said, "They want to see me and meet you."

"Well maybe it won't be bad," Joe said.

"Joe, you don't know my parents," Chandler said, "They are evil and vindictive. All they have done my whole life is put me down. I'm not perfect enough. How I do not want to become a lawyer. Oh probably a good thing you didn't become a lawyer, you're too sensitive." Joe could see the pain in Chandler's face. He knew she didn't like her parents but he had no idea the reason why.

"Hey. Come here," Joe said pulling the girl into a hug, "Whatever happens I'll be there."

"I don't want to see them," Chandler cried, "I've worked my whole life to get away from them. To get out of the mindset that I'm not good enough. They told me that my whole life. I don't know if I'm ready to hear that again."

"I'm sorry they made you feel that way. You are one of the most amazing people I know" Joe said holding the sides of her face, "You are more than enough. If your parents can't see that then maybe they're the ones who aren't good enough. You are strong and can do this."

"You're right," Chandler said, "I have grown so much being away from them. I'm strong enough to face them."

"And if you need anything I'll be right here," Joe said.

"So you're fine with them coming?" Chandler asked.

"Only if you are," Joe said.

"Yeah. Who knows maybe they've changed," Chandler said.

"I'll be here for you the whole time," Joe said, "Now come on. Let's go drink our cocoa and watch a movie." They each grabbed a mug and walked into the bedroom.

"I need to go get some pjs," Chandler said.

"You can borrow one of my t-shirts," Joe said, "There should be one in the top drawer."

"Thanks," Chandler said. She walked over grabbed a shirt and slipped off her clothes. She put the shirt over her head. The last time she wore Joe's shirt, it was draped over her body falling to her mid thighs. Now it barely covered her underwear with her pregnant stomach. "Well, this sure doesn't fit like it used to."

"I still think you look great," Joe smiled.

"You have to say that," Chandler said climbing into bed, "I'm your girlfriend and I'm pregnant with your baby."

"I'm not saying it because I have to," Joe said, "I'm saying it because it's true. Your body is doing an amazing thing."

"It truly is isn't it?" Chandler asked, "Crazy to think she'll be here in less than two months."

"I feel like we have nothing ready," Joe said.

"Well there has been a lot going on," Chandler said, "We were trying to figure us out. You injured your knee. But now everything seems to be working out."

"A lot has happened in the last few months," Joe agreed.

"We'll get everything ready," Chandler said, "We'll go shopping tomorrow after your physical therapy."