Chapter 11

"So how did it go?" Katie asked as soon as Chandler walked through the door.

"Really bad...and then really good," Chandler said.

"What do you mean?" Katie asked.

"Well, you remember how he was in a long-term relationship for 3 years?" Chandler asked.

"Oh no."

"Yeah...well she was there. And she did not like me," Chandler said, "Pretty fair honestly. If some girl showed up to Miles' house and said she was 'a friend' you probably react the same way."

"You said friend?!" Katie asked dumbfounded.

"I didn't know what else to say. I couldn't exactly tell her I was there to tell Joe that I was pregnant with his baby!"

"Well, what happened after that?" Katie asked.

"They closed the door argued for what felt like forever, and then she left," Chandler said, "Joe told me that they had been trying to work on things."

"So are they back together?" Katie asked.

"I don't think so," Chandler said, "Anyway. After she left Joe and I sat down and talked. At first, he was in shock."

"Understandably."

"After I sort of rambled forever. He asked me if the baby was his, as he should," Chandler said, "After he apologized for asking that question I told him that I understood if he didn't want to be a part of the baby's life. He basically told me I was crazy and that he would of course be a part of the baby's life."

"That's great!!" Katie smiled pulling Chandler into a hug, "This is the best possible outcome!"

"Except for the fact that his girlfriend hates me," Chandler said.

"Ex-girlfriend," Katie reminded.

"Yeah but they were working it out," Chandler said, "At least they were trying to."

"Do you really think she's going to want to be with him after this?" Katie asked.

"I don't know. They were together for 3 years," Chandler said, "I don't expect him to get into a relationship with me just because we're having a baby."

"But I doubt he's going to be in a relationship with another person," Katie said, "Especially not an ex-girlfriend."

"I'm not putting any kind of pressure on a relationship," Chandler said, "All I'm focused on is trying to raise this baby. Joe and I have a lot of things to figure out."

•••

October 2020

"Hey," Joe said walking through Chandler's apartment door.

"Hey. Thanks for coming over," Chandler said, "Sorry we couldn't meet at the restaurant like planned. I'm not feeling very well today."

"It's no problem," Joe said, "It's probably better to meet somewhere private instead."

"So how did your talk with Olivia go?" Chandler asked.

"Umm not well," Joe said.

"Oh I'm sorry," Chandler said.

"It's all right," Joe said, "I don't really think I wanted to be in a relationship with her again anyway."

"Well whatever you chose to do is your decision," Chandler said.