Chapter 18

Chandler took the cookies out of the oven that she baked for the team that was coming over tonight. Joe said she didn't need to make anything but she felt like she needed to. She had met some of the guys in passing but never formally. "I told you that you didn't need to make those," Joe said walking into the kitchen.

"I know but I want to make a good first impression," Chandler said, "Plus I make amazing chocolate chip cookies."

"Hmm. I'll be the judge of that," Joe said picking up a cookie and taking a bite of it. Chandler watched for his reaction. His eyes grew big as he looked down at the cookie. "These are amazing!

"I told you so," Chandler said as she transferred the cookies to a plate.

"If they eat one of these they're definitely going to love you," Joe said.

"Oh, so my cookies make people fall in love?" Chandler laughed.

"Yes. I love you Chandler," Joe laughed. Her eyes went wide as she awkwardly laughed. The doorbell rang catching Joe's attention. "They're here."

Chandler continued to plate the cookies as Joe opened the door. She would be lying if she said she wasn't nervous to meet some of the team. That's exactly why she made the cookies. They always make a great first impression. "Everybody this is Chandler," Joe said.

She looked up to see three men she didn't recognize and Ja'Marr. "Hello," Chandler smiled.

"It's about time we get to meet the infamous Chandler," one of the men said, "I'm Tee Higgins."

"Infamous you say?" Chandler asked.

"Oh yeah. Joey here is always talking about you," another man said, "I'm Sam Hubbard by the way."

"Oh come on guys, I do not," Joe nervously laughed.

"Well, now you're just lying," the last guy said, "I'm Ryan Finley."

"Yeah come on man," Ja'Marr said, "All you talk about now is Chandler."

"All right," Joe said blushing, "Who's hungry?"

"Are we waiting for anyone else?" Chandler asked.

"There might be a few more people but they weren't sure if they could make it or not," Joe said, "We can go ahead and get started."

"Well all the food is on the table," Chandler said, "Joe made the burgers and I made the baked beans and pasta salad." Everyone sat around the table with Joe sitting at the head of it. Chandler now realized why Joe had such a big house. With 5 big football players in it, it didn't seem so big.

"So what do you do for work, Chandler?" Sam asked.

"I currently am not working," Chandler said, "When Joe got hurt I took some time off because he needed some help around the house. But before I was a receptionist at my best friend's hair salon."

"Did you like being a receptionist?" Tee asked.

"It wasn't a bad job. I worked at a law firm as a receptionist for three years before that."

"Sounds like you have a lot of experience in reception," Ryan said, "what did you go to college for?"

"Umm I actually went to school and got a degree in Elementary Education," Chandler said.

"How come you didn't go into education?" Sam asked.

"It was just never the right time," Chandler said, "Teaching isn't the best career choice for a single young girl trying to make it in life."

"So you'd be teaching if you could?" Ja'Marr asked.

"Oh definitely. I've always wanted to be a teacher," Chandler said, "I love working with kids."

"Well I think you could definitely get a job as a baker," Joe said, "Wait until you guys try the chocolate chip cookies Chandler made."

"Oh come on. They're not that good," Chandler said trying to be modest.

"She's being modest," Joe said, "They're the best chocolate chip cookies I've ever had."

"I'll be the judge of that," Tee said, "My mom has won many contests with her chocolate chip cookies." He picked up a cookie and took a bite of it. Chandler watched as he reacted similarly to Joe. "These are delicious!"

"Thank you," Chandler smiled.

"These are the best cookies I've ever had," Sam smiled.

•••

"It was a fun night," Chandler said as Joe sat on the couch next to her, "But I'm exhausted and my feet are killing me."

"Do you want me to rub them?" Joe asked.

"No. You don't have to," Chandler said.

"Oh come on. It's the least I can do," Joe said scooting over so that her legs were in his lap, "Plus I read that your feet start to swell the further along you get in pregnancy. Rubbing them is supposed to help."

"Where did you read that?" Chandler asked.

"I may have picked up a book or two," Joe said.

"You bought a book on pregnancy?" Chandler asked.

"Yeah. I just wanted to be more informed about what you're going through," Joe said making Chandler smile, "What?"

"Nothing."

"I think the guys loved you," Joe said, "I told you your cookies make people fall in love with you."

"So my cookies are the only reason they like me?" Chandler asked.

"No, no. That's not what I—"

"I'm kidding," Chandler laughed, "I was just joking with you."

"Did you have a good lunch with Katie?" Joe asked.

"I did," Chandler said, "We had a really good talk."

"What did you guys talk about?" Joe asked.

"We actually talk about our apartment," Chandler said, "We've agreed to let the lease run out."

"Oh yeah?" Joe asked.

"Yeah," Chandler said, "Katie also helped me to realize that I'd be stupid to not take you up on your offer."

"So you're moving in?" Joe asked.

"If you'll still have me," Chandler said.

"Of course," Joe said, "I'm happy you said yes."

"Now we can actually get the nursery started," Chandler said.

"Ahh I see a lot of shopping in my future," Joe laughed, "But I don't mind. Joe placed his hand on her stomach. "Anything for the two of you."

"Thank you, Joe," Chandler smiled, "Seriously. Thank you for everything."

"I should be the one thanking you," Joe said as he leaned closer to the girl, "You quit your job to take care of me after I hurt my knee. We'd only known each other for 5 months and you did that for me."

"You needed help," Chandler said, "Of course I did."

"You're just a selfless person," Joe said, "And we may not have done this the right way but I'm so glad we're having a baby together." Chandler smiled over at Joe. The closer they got the more she started to really like Joe.

Joe leaned closer to Chandler. Now was his chance. As Joe leaned in she stared into his eyes. Was she really going to let this happen now? They had been getting closer and they had already slept together. It's not like the two hadn't kissed before. Chandler leaned forward attaching their lips.