Chapter 1

Song: Rich Girl by Gwen Stefani

The first time I saw him it was a blur and I didn't even notice...

Y/N rubbed her cold hands as she entered the corner store. The warmth seemed to do little to warm her up. She checked her phone. Her shift had just ended and her brothers would be expecting her. 

Y/N grabbed an Arizona tea and a bag of hot fries. She tapped her acrylic nails on the counter while the man stared at her dead in her face. Her natural hair covered most of her forehead. Y/N's melanin skin was a bit deficient from the cold weather made her appear sickly. 

"What?" She questioned raising an eyebrow.

His eyes shifted to the white gang flag in the window. She scoffed, "I don't see nobody in here. You gonna let me pay or not?"

Y/N rolled her eyes as she slid him a five-dollar bill not even waiting for her change. She exited the store missing the group of white teens coming up. They stared at her like she was crazy. She thought, maybe she should've driven ten more minutes to a store closer to her block. 

"Keep it moving before it gets dark." One of them gave her a curtsey nod.

Y/N averted her face from him mumbling, "I'm leaving don't worry about it."

She pulled off racing down the street to her respective hood. By the time she made it home a bunch of her brother's friends sat on their stoop. They were too busy drinking and playing cards to notice her. 

"Watch out." Y/N smiled softly as the men greeted her.

"You brought shit from that store again?" Andre, her older brother, asked noticing her bag of goodies. He appeared from the kitchen wearing a sweatsuit. His blonde-dyed waves were the flashiest part of him. 

"It was quick. I'm still alive." Y/N shrugged her coat off sitting on the couch.

Andre scoffed looking towards the kitchen, "Shad is gonna kill you if he finds out you keep running over there."

"He won't find out."

Rashad, the oldest came from the kitchen holding a plate of hot food. "Won't find out what?"

Y/N looked down at her chips munching on a few. He was always strict and Y/N found herself scared to speak. Andre stared at the television hoping he wouldn't notice. Rashad kicked the table getting upset at the silence. His tattooed biceps flexed with anger. 

"Y/N stop going over West. I don't care if it's on the way home. You drive and don't stop." Rashad said sounding more like her father than her brother.

Y/N balled up her chips not hungry anymore, "I don't give a fuck about this East versus West bullshit. I just wanted a snack."

"It don't matter! Them white boys will shoot you dead."

She shook her head still annoyed, "Aight! I won't go there anymore. How'd you even know I was there anyway?"

Andre laughed, "He got nigga following you sis. I thought you noticed by now."

"Where's Maya?" Y/N asked wondering about their youngest sister, who at 15 thought she was fit to run the streets.

"Friends place," Rashad said turning his attention to the television. 

Y/N sucked her teeth, "And y'all left her there?"

"What's wrong with that?"

Y/N gathered her snacks and her keys, "I was fifteen once. You know she likes to run the streets."

Rashad laughed loudly, "Just like you did when you were fifteen?" 

Y/N headed for the door, "I'm out. I'll see you later."

Andre cuffed his hands over his mouth, "When you get back bring me a chicken box. Extra ketchup."

Y/N didn't respond as she slammed the front door shut behind her. 

Authors Note:

Welcome, guys! I hope you enjoyed the intro. 

Please vote and comment.