Chapter 2

Song: Superman by Eminem

He was watching me from afar and I didn't even notice. But he had to do something he wasn't proud of....

"Maya stack the rest of the shoes. Don't forget to tie the laces." Y/N spoke putting the rest of the money in the safe.

Maya lazily stood shuffling through the last of the display sneakers. Y/N ran her own sneaker store in the downtown area. Sneaker Rackz was popular amongst all but was still a hotspot. Occasionally her brothers would wash their drug money through the store without her knowing.

"I don't understand why you got me working here. You're not even paying me!" Maya shouted as Y/N went to the back to lock the emergency exit.

"It builds character! I want you to do big shit when you graduate high school!" Y/N came back with her book bag.

Maya laughed finishing the display case, "Can you take me to McDonald's after we're done?"

"Do you got McDonald's money?" Maya looked over at Y/N with a tired face. She laughed shaking her head.

Y/N reached into her bag pulling out a ten-dollar bill. Right at the handoff bullets came screeching through the windows. The glass storefront shattered to the ground crackling under the tile. Maya shouted as Y/N pushed her through the floor.

"Oh, my God!" Maya said covering her head from the flying glass.

"What the fuck." Y/N lifted her head once the bullets stopped.

She cranked her neck to get a view of the car. It's dark exterior blending into the night. Y/N caught the last few letters of the license plate. The headlights of the car flashed off as they scattered.

"Are you okay? Are you hit?" Y/N asked her sister who shook her head frantically.

"Fuck." Y/N looked around the store in its chaotic state.

A few minutes later blue and red police sirens flashed in front. Y/N headed into the station with her trembling sister. Office phones rang loudly as officers moved back and forth from their desks.

"Ma'am, you have to file a complaint with the detective." The front desk receptionist stared at her with dead eyes.

"Listen! My sister and I were shot at tonight! I need someone to investigate!" Y/N slammed her hand down on the desk receiving confused looks from spectators.

"I already told you. You have to file a complaint with the ATF and gang detective. Come back on Monday!"

Maya pulled on Y/N's arm trying to calm her down, "If I was white that detective would've been down here!"

"Ma'am, if you don't calm down I'm gonna have to ask you to leave or else."

Y/N scoffed, "Man, I don't even know why I came down here. Fuck you."

"Let's just go," Maya said pulling her towards the door.

Y/N let out a shaky breath when the cold outside air hit her. Maya was already standing by the passenger side door when a car drove down the street. Y/N squinted her eyes in suspicion at the vehicle, the last few tags the same as the earlier car.

....

"I think it's the white gang," Y/N stated as she passed the bowl of mashed potatoes at the dinner table.

"What's the motive though?" Andre asked sipping on his tea.

Y/N looked back down at the decorated table. Fried chicken, greens, potatoes, and rolls assorted on the family table. Rashad sat at the head of the table with his fists closed. Y/N pushed her food around her plate.

"I say we take them out," Maya spoke looking up from her phone.

Y/N kicked her under the table, "You shut up. That's a stupid idea."

Maya rolled her eyes, "Who called the hit then? Victor?"

Andre shook his head, "Nah, he's too flamboyant. This was coordinated. There's his second but no one knows his name. Maybe it's coming from him. Shad, what do you think?"

Rashad sighed rubbing his temples, "What if it was some crazy teens trynna get a spot in the gang? Shit like that happens all the time."

"But coming to my shop won't do shit but bring heat! I don't even roll with y'all and everybody knows that."

"Guilty by association, sis," Maya said typing on her phone.

Rashad piled his plate with leftovers, "I'll handle it from here, aight? I don't want you nowhere near this."

Y/N chuckled dryly shifting her attention to Maya who was nose deep in her phone, "Who are you texting?"

Maya blushed shyly, "Nobody."

Maya locked her phone placing it in her lap. Y/N smirked returning to her meal. This was their daily thing. Family dinner while discussing family business. There was a time it was just family time but over the years, business mixed with family.

Authors Note:

Welcome back, lovelies!

Vote and comment!

Who shot at Y/N & Maya??