𝓢𝓔𝓡𝓘𝓔𝓢 𝓞𝓝𝓔 ❣︎ 8

The Nevermore 'Hummers'. The next option on the list. Basically, it was a club for looking after bees. It took place in a shed on the outskirts of the Nevermore campus. The shed wasn't very hard to find, though, because it was surrounded by hives and had a big bee painted on it.

"Are interested in the ancient art of beekeeping?" She got asked halfway to the shed. She turned and saw a boy in a suit, head the only visible part of him. His face was very... smiley. It was all Ember noted.

"Eugene. Eugene Ottinger," the boy extended a gloved hand. "Founder and President of the Nevermore Hummers."

"Ember. Ember Addams," Ember saw no reason not to shake his hand. It was gloved, after all. No physical touch. Then she saw no one else around him. "Am I late or is it only you?"

Eugene sighed. "The hive life isn't for everyone. And most kids are afraid of venomous insects."

"I couldn't think of a reason not to like them," Ember said plainly.

Eugene leaned forward slightly. "Are you willing to feel the sting?"

Ember gave a small smirk.

The next thing she knew, she was in a white suit, dressed head to toe in the shade. Though she had the mesh bit to see out of, of course, and her black boots.

"Bees have been producing honey in the same way for one hundred and fifty million years," Eugene told her, after she came out the shed, changed. "They're nature's perfect community! All working together to achieve a common goal."

Ember looked to the side, seeing Thing in between two hives-

"Fun fact! It's also one of the few ecosystems in which females dominate, from the queen bee to her workers. There's no patriarchy in the hive!"

Then, slowly, Thing gave a point across the yard, signing Rowan.

Ember was already going to get changed.

❣︎❣︎❣︎

"Rowan!" He was out by the car as Ember yelled, getting all packed up to leave. "We need to talk!"

"Ember, I'm not allowed to speak to anyone!" Rowan said, still packing his stuff into the car, not facing her.

"You had a lot to say when you tried to kill me. Why not now?" Ember asked. "You told me I was going to destroy the school, remember? Or has being resurrected dulled your memory?"

Rowan chuckled.

"Where did you get that drawing?" She hissed.

"I just went into the woods to clear my head," Rowan sighed. "Then you came after me."

The very warped version of the truth made something clear to Ember. This wasn't the same Rowan.

"Ember!" Suddenly, Ms Thornhill, who was obviously driving the car to the station, came round. "You shouldn't be here."

"Yeah, back off, and leave me alone!" Rowan said angrily to get, getting in the car.

Ember's eyes widened, but as Thing got on the back of the car to follow Rowan, she knew she couldn't follow.

He had this one.

❣︎❣︎❣︎

However, when Thing returned later that afternoon, he brought no good news. At the time, Ember was in Botany, the whole class just milling about the big conservatory/greenhouse, waiting for Ms Thornhill (the Botany teacher) to begin the lesson. At the moment she was talking to Ajax.