𝓢𝓔𝓡𝓘𝓔𝓢 𝓞𝓝𝓔 ❣︎ 16

It had been a week since the Rave'N. Eugene was in hospital, having not died but just been severely injured, and Ember was stoutly refusing to go and see him. She knew he wouldn't want her there. Plus, everyone was saying he was 'on the mend' (Ember suspected this wasn't true, and it was just what everyone was being told).

Either way, today was Parents Weekend. Basically, it was halfway through the semester, so parents got to come down for a weekend to see what their kids had been doing.

Ember, meanwhile, had been investigating something that wasn't the monster for the past week. It was her uncle.

She had been looking further into his police file, and had found something out.

How well do we really know our parents? Our aunts and uncles? Our family?

Take my uncle. I've always considered him an open book. A man given to misguided schemes and exaggerated displays of affection.

She had found a report; mugshots... details... a big red stamp at the side saying HOMICIDE.

But when he was a student, he was accused of a murder.

Ember's eyes glanced up as she read the report. She was looking up at the 'battlements' around the quad, ones that now had big walls up to stop people from falling. But maybe not back then...

A murder that took place right up there.

Which leads me to wonder...

She looked more at the report, scanning it. Rave'N 1990... big storm... Garrett Gates... dead... Gomez Addams... accused...

What really happened that stormy night thirty two years ago?

Because whatever it was, Ember didn't know.

All she knew was, when she watched her aunt and uncle's car pull into the Nevermore drive, she frowned, looking from them to the police report.

For this weekend, monsters, murders and mysteries weren't a thing.

She was focusing on a whole new case.

Did her uncle really murder someone that night?

And what did her mother have to do with it?

❣︎❣︎❣︎

Ember watched her uncle, aunt and cousin get out the car, her other cousin by her side. Wednesday had her telescope, and was now looking at them arrive. However, Wednesday didn't have anything on her mind right now. Ember did.

However, she had to push all that to the side as she and Wednesday headed down to the quad, where they were met with Enid, who was standing at the edge of the pentagon, where all the parents and students were meeting.

Ember rolled her eyes as she heard Enid squeal beside her, then looked, seeing that Ajax was waving at her. Since the Rave'N, Enid and Ajax had started dating (Ajax had apologised for ditching Enid that night), and Ember was disgusted, especially since Enid kept sneaking him into their dorm and breaking Ms Thornhill's rules.

Anyway, as the group of three stood in a line (Ember had Wednesday on one side, Enid on the other) they turned their attention to Weems, who was now addressing all the parents. Ember saw Pugsley, Gomez and Morticia across the quad. She and Wednesday would meet with them later.

"Nevermore was created as a safe haven for our children, to learn and to grow, no matter who or what they are," Weems started, speaking into a microphone. There was lots of applause. "I realise most of you have heard about the unfortunate incident involving one of our students. But I'm happy to report that Eugene is on the mend and is expected to make a full recovery."