𝓢𝓔𝓡𝓘𝓔𝓢 𝓞𝓝𝓔 ❣︎ 26

Ember couldn't help but feel a bit nostalgic as she packed her trunk in her room the next day. Enid was standing behind her, her eyes teary.

Finally, as her roommate decided to start packing herself (the semester was ending the next week) Ember finished her packing with the typewriter, clasping the lock on the box shut and putting it in.

Then, after five to ten minutes of comfortable silence, Enid picked up one of Ember's last possessions that was left unpacked; a real dead mole, strapped to a small wooden chair with a metal electric torture hat on.

"I can't believe I'm actually going to miss your creepy, lifeless eyes waking me up every morning," she said tearily, looking from the mole's eyes to Ember. "It won't be the same without you," she added, looking, this time, more at Ember.

But the girl just put the typewriter into her trunk and said. "So I assume you'll be moving in with Yoko, and leaving me in your rear view mirror."

"Not ever," Enid shook her head meaningfully, as Ember put a couple of books into her trunk. She then added hesitantly. "What about you? Will you forget about me?"

Ember abandoned the books and looked straight at the girl. "Enid... the mark you have left on me is indelible. Every time I see a stuffed unicorn I want to decapitate or hear a pop song that gives me a strong urge to chop my ears off, I'll think of you."

This seemed to cheer the girl up, but her eyes still contained tears.

"Thanks..." She said. "I guess."

Ember sighed, going to get more books to pack. "I always believed relying on other people to be a sign of weakness. That inevitably it would lead me to disappointment," she neatly organised the books into her trunk. "Turns out I've been the disappointment," she said bitterly, putting more books in.

"Are you kidding me?" Enid stepped forward. "I mean, you were a bit creepy and weird at first, but you really settled in eventually. I've learned so much from you," she shrugged. "Part of it is admittedly criminal behaviour, but.. most people spend their lives pretending to be someone they're not, and you literally came in here in all red, with that goth makeup, and somehow still won everyone over!"

Ember, looking down, didn't know what that last bit meant, but from the way Enid smiled warmly and pressed her lips together when she said it, she knew it was good.

"Any chance you've got some sneaky plan to elude Weems?" Enid asked hopefully, after a pause.

Ember considered it. "Xavier's right," she eventually said, holding up the picture of her and Crackstone in the quad; the thing that had started all this. "This prophecy cannot happen if I'm not here.

"But it kills me to leave when Tyler is still walking around free," she added, handing the picture to Enid as she had never had a proper look at it before.

"If he tries anything, we have a whole schoolful of gorgons, vampires and werewolves, ready and waiting," Enid promised. "We've got this Ember, I promise."

Enid was silent for a second, then she said. "On a good note, I got a text from Eugene's mums, they said he woke up last night. Maybe Weems will let you drop by on your way to the station."

Both girls fell silent as Thing snapped his fingers from on top of Ember's trunk. When both girls turned to him, he gave a thumbs up. Or a thumb up.

"Think we're all set," Ember said after that, clicking her trunk shut difinitivley. Thing crawled forward on it to talk to Enid.

"Thing, I'm going to miss our makeup tutorials," she said tearily; this was almost too much to bear. "And you better keep sending me moisturising tips!"