𝓢𝓔𝓡𝓘𝓔𝓢 𝓞𝓝𝓔 ❣︎ 12

The sky was darkening by the time the Old Meeting House came into view. Tyler had been right. It was a ruin.

The new Meeting House at Pilgrim World was a very good representation of it, a wooden shed with the same structure. But this time, Ember got through the door easily, entering the small area now floored with dead leaves and broken beams.

She layed her bag on the ground, letting Thing out, as she walked towards the the only stone part of the 'building'; the fireplace at the back of the shed.

Thing signed on the ground. "I was expecting more too," Ember agreed with him.

Then, suddenly, he began moving his fingers fast-

Behind you!

"Who you talkin' to little girl?"

From behind her, man had appeared. He had long, tangly red hair, and a beard of the same colour. He was obviously one of the squatters Tyler had been talking about.

"These woods ain't safe..." the man said, almost threateningly.

Nevertheless, Ember remained calm. "Use the words 'little' and 'girl' to address me again and it'll be your safety in question, not mine," she told him, voice not even wavering.

"This is my place! Get away!" He said, abandoning all pretense of niceness.

"Thing, a helping hand here?" Ember demanded, and the hand leapt into action immediately, crawling across the leaves and climbing up from the man's leg, eventually getting to his neck and choking him.

"Argh!" The man's eyes and mouth went wide. His hands went to Thing's severed wrist but he didn't budge, eventually ending in the man running out of the ruined shed in fear of more attacks, leaving Ember free to search around.

"There's nothing here," she said, annoyed, as the hand crawled back into sight. He had obviously convinced the man to stay away.

Thing, meanwhile, was tapping, making more conversation.

Can't you just touch something and have a vision? It would give us more information.

"No, I can't just touch something," Ember sighed. "My visions seem to happen spontaneously."

Thing started signing again.

Ask Morticia for help. She had visions too, didn't she-?

"I would rather dye my hair the colour of Enid's than ask my aunt for advice," Ember quipped.

Thing scraped the side of a log. Maybe try touching something? Just to check?

"Oh, you want me to prove it to you?" Ember asked, more flared up by the minute. She slammed her hands on one of the only wooden beams still standing. "No," she said, putting her hands on a metal bit across the top of the fireplace. "Nothing."

"Ah, I bet this will give us some real insight," Ember held up a bit of litter - a Taco Bell takeaway bag - and pretended she was having a vision, putting her head up and shaking herself. "No!

"My visions are about as predictable as shark attacks," she muttered, picking up her bag and leading Thing out, touching the door on the way-

All at once, her head was wrenched upwards, and her eyes were open wide.

But she was no longer in the ruined Meeting House.

She was in the new, shiny one. The one in the sixteen hundreds.

She fell to the ground as she exited the shed, grunting

She was in the past.

Because as she came out, she looked around... seeing loads of pilgrims before her, majority of them with sticks on fire... they were yelling and seemed angry... at someone...