02: first encounters

"Hand your phones in please!" she announced. We all hated this rule, but got used to it by now. I powered my phone off and got up to put my phone away, before sitting back down. As the students were putting away their phones, Ms.Park had asked us a question.

"Is anybody here in touch with Hyeonju? Her parents said that she didn't come home last night" she asked. The class had grown quiet, probably meaning none of us had seen her either. "Nobody? None of you tried calling her?" Ms.Park asked us yet again.

Joonyeong had broke the silence in the class by saying that he cleaned the science lab together with her yesterday, but he hasn't seen her since. "Ah, I see. Well if any of you hear from her please let me know immediately okay?"

We all agreed and class officially had started. "Okay, does anyone want to give a shot at this interpretation?" A student, named Heesu had stood up, everyone thought she was going to answer the question, but in reality she had asked to go to the bathroom. Ms.Park let her go.

"Okay.. Anyone want to try? How about Namra?" Ms.Park had asked. Namra was our class president, she was a quiet girl who didn't have any friends. I tried befriending her, and we got on good terms with each other, but never talked regularly.

"The truth is, all of us have some sort of prejudice. We all have preconceptions about other people" Namra said quietly. "Okay, good. Next, Bare-su, stand up" Ms.Park announced to the whole class. We all looked over at Suhyeok who was shocked that he had gotten called on and he stood up awkwardly.

"I have a question, why are you called Bare-su?" she said to him. Joonyeong answered that it was short for barefoot Suhyeok, as he hates wearing socks, and prefers to have no socks on. He got embarrassed by that secret Joonyeong shared, as everyone laughed.

"Okay then, Bare-su, what did Namra just say?" Ms.Park asked Suhyeok. "Well.. she uh.. she was absoloutely correct!" he said confidently and everyone giggled at his answer. "Okay then, so, what was right about Namra's answer?"

He was about to respond but then, Hyeonju came into the room. But not looking like herself. "What the hell? Isn't that Hyeonju?" Eunchae asked me, as we stood up to go closer to check. She had fallen over, as if she had fainted. I got a bit startled at her fall.

She looked like a total wreck. Her face had been blooded up, and her nose too. The sides of her mouth looked like it had been stained with blood, as the pink stain went all over her mouth area. Her eyes were bloodshot red, and she could barely mutter a word. "Hey! Hyeonju are you okay?" Ms.Park asked, concerned for Hyeonju's safety

"Ms.Park.." she muttered. "Yes, yes its me Hyeonju do you recognize me?" Everyone had gathered around Hyeonju and Ms.Park, dumbfounded by what they were seeing. "He grabbed me... The science teacher.." Hyeonju continued on.

What? The science teacher? Lee Byeongchan?" Ms.Park continued to ask Hyeonju questions, trying to get as much out of her as possible. "He grabbed me.. the science teacher locked me up and tied me" she managed to mutter out those last words before falling completely silent.

"Hyeonju, hang in there okay? We're gonna get you to the infirmary. Namra! Make sure everyone studies!" Ms.Park ordered everyone to sit down as well. "Miss, I'll carry Hyeonju" Suhyeok offered and he got Hyeonju on his back. "Someone help him"

"I'll help" Onjo and Isak had volunteered to help him and they left the room. I instantly walked over to the window with Eunchae, fixing my eyes on Suhyeok. Hyeonju was odd. She kept straightening her back at times, twitching, and looking at his neck.

"Chae.. let's sit down like Ms.Park had said.." Eunchae said to me, and we sat down. "That's weird.. she said she was tied up, grabbed, and locked up?" Eunchae said. "Yeah.. It seems odd." I said while pulling out my hairbrush to brush my hair out. There was no way I wanted to study after the sight I had just seen.

"Chaeyoungie! Let me do that for you" Eunchae told me and took the brush from my hand and brushed my hair out. "Ah! Your hair is so soft Chaechae, did you get it from your mom?" Eunchae joked with me as she played with my hair.

"Of course I did, even my beauty is from her too! But my features are from my dad" I said to her. A couple of minutes had passed and Isak returned without Onjo and Suhyeok. Cheongsan instantly sprung up and asked her where Onjo was.

"Where's Hyeonju?" Jimin asked Isak. "It's no joke! She was biting people and-" Isak spoke but got cut off by Cheongsan. "Where's Onjo at?" he said directly to Isak. "She got hurt" she replied to his question. He got super concerned and asked how bad it was, and where, but she said it was just a scratch. That wasn't enough for him though so he left the room, possibly to go find her.

Cheongsan POV

I had left the classroom in search for Onjo. I checked the infirmary, but no one was there. The only thing there was blood, and some needles. I ran the hallway down and saw Onjo with Suhyeok. "Nam Onjo!" I called out to her, and ran down quickly to her.

I grabbed her hand and looked at her bandage. "I heard you got hurt. How bad is it? Ugh, you're such a klutz!" I said to her, full of worry. But she took her hand away from mine, responding with a quick "I'm fine" and had walked off.

"Was she hurt badly? She was being careless again huh" I asked Suhyeok. "No, she got hurt while avoiding being bitten by Hyeonju.. Hey" Suhyeok said to me before asking me if I was going out with Onjo. I decided to mess around a bit with him. "Yes, I am"

He scoffed a bit before looking away, "Did you expect me to say that you moron?" I told him and hit him playfully on the shoulder. "If the world comes to an end and it was me, a zombie, and Onjo, I'd pick the zombie!"

"And how about you huh? Are you going out with Chaeyoung?" I teased him, knowing that he must've had a thing for her. I'm his close friend, I'm not stupid, I can tell when things are going on. "Me? No, I don't. We don't even talk with each other." Suhyeok denied.

"Then whose the strawberry milk in your backpack for? You've never been a fan of it" I pointed out. He stuttered a bit before saying he tried it again the other day and really liked it. Pfft, lies. He sucked at lying to my face. "But.. why'd you ask about me and Onjo?" I asked Suhyeok, but instead I got turned down and he said "No reason, let's go!"